PDA

View Full Version : 1986D DDR or MD?

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Please tell me if this is MD. Most of the time I can tell the difference, but then these loo loo's pop up :)

mustbebob
02-25-2018, 09:31 AM
I need to see more of the coin. If this is only on ONE CENT, then it is probably MD. This is pretty strong to not show up on other devices.

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 09:33 AM
I need to see more of the coin. If this is only on ONE CENT, then it is probably MD. This is pretty strong to not show up on other devices.

Thank you Sir! It is taking a much needed bath right now then I will take more photos. Thank you so much for taking a look!

Petespockets55
02-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Is that the same effect showing up on the date?

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Is that the same effect showing up on the date?

I'm not sure Cliff, the coin has gunk. Hoping a bath helps :)

makecents
02-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Very cool looking Viv!! I hope it is a doubled die!! The only thing that bothers me though is the lack of thickness on the vertical legs of the "N's".

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Very cool looking Viv!! I hope it is a doubled die!! The only thing that bothers me though is the lack of thickness on the vertical legs of the "N's".

Thank you Jon! I agree, it's just one of those things that bugs you enough to not toss it. Tried to get some better photos for Bob today and got frustrated, so will try again tomorrow. I like these Jansjo's okay... when they are in the right spot and everything is right with the way the light is directed, they are great. But when you have a different looking coin you have to change directions and it's slowed down my searching this weekend. Ugghhh... I'll get it right one day :)

GrumpyEd
02-26-2018, 01:34 AM
Not sure on the rev, what does the top look like?

jfines69
02-26-2018, 02:24 PM
The vertical of the Es look thicker than normal so I am unsure??? The MM looks real thick to the SE also???

VAB2013
02-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Today after work, I moved my desk back to the window (after moving it away from the window on Saturday) My son just looked at me funny and said "women are just not happy unless you are moving furniture around!?"

I wanted to see this coin with natural light because even with my loupe, I could not tell. My conclusion is, it is MD. It has that sheared look.

Learned a lesson... don't rely on incorrect lighting with a questionable coin and keep my desk where it is!

makecents
02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Today after work, I moved my desk back to the window (after moving it away from the window on Saturday) My son just looked at me funny and said "women are just not happy unless you are moving furniture around!?"

I wanted to see this coin with natural light because even with my loupe, I could not tell. My conclusion is, it is MD. It has that sheared look.

Learned a lesson... don't rely on incorrect lighting with a questionable coin and keep my desk where it is!First of all, you put your desk where ever you want when ever you want. Have a different spot for every day if you have the energy!!:D Second, I do not see the shelf like look that is normally on MD but it looks to have a lot of deterioration and the vertical legs on the "N's" still look narrow, so I would say you are right. As others have asked, is there anything going on with the rest of the reverse?

VAB2013
02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Nothing else on the reverse and the coin is not in good condition. The only other thing I noticed is the very bottom of the memorial where that first line is, it's cracked. I don't know, maybe that's a plating issue?

I brought my broken lamp back in the room because incandescent light is better with this scope, natural light is even better. But, since all of the lights are using LED's now, I'm going to try to work with these Jansjo's. Full coin shots with the Jansjo's are not too hard to take, but I haven't figured out a good solution for up close.

makecents
02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Nothing else on the reverse and the coin is not in good condition. The only other thing I noticed is the very bottom of the memorial where that first line is, it's cracked. I don't know, maybe that's a plating issue?

I brought my broken lamp back in the room because incandescent light is better with this scope, natural light is even better. But, since all of the lights are using LED's now, I'm going to try to work with these Jansjo's. Full coin shots with the Jansjo's are not too hard to take, but I haven't figured out a good solution for up close.I have found incandescent light is better if you want definition but the thing with many of the things we want to see, they need to be just slightly out of light or focus, I don't always understand it but that is how it is. Ray and some other folks here, that are REALLY good at pulling out things we can't quite see, I guarantee you they go through the same things, just on a larger scale. Lighting is the biggest issue everyone has, in my opinion, no matter how good they are.

VAB2013
02-26-2018, 08:40 PM
I have found incandescent light is better if you want definition but the thing with many of the things we want to see, they need to be just slightly out of light or focus, I don't always understand it but that is how it is. Ray and some other folks here, that are REALLY good at pulling out things we can't quite see, I guarantee you they go through the same things, just on a larger scale. Lighting is the biggest issue everyone has, in my opinion, no matter how good they are.

I agree Jon! I knew the LED's were going to cause some issues but when they are far away from the coin like in full coin shots, they actually do better than incandescent I think. Just need to work with them some more :)

jfines69
02-27-2018, 03:29 AM
Good follow up images Vivien... I do not see the MD but I no longer see what looked like separation lines either... Could have been light reflection doubling (LRD)???

VAB2013
02-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Good follow up images Vivien... I do not see the MD but I no longer see what looked like separation lines either... Could have been light reflection doubling (LRD)???

Thank you Jim! The LED lights makes things appear larger than they really are, which is fine if it's a nice doubled die! But you know how you can tell once you get familiar with your scope and trying to focus on the high and low devices of a cent. You get the outside of the coin in focus and then the center becomes out of focus so you find a happy medium. With better lighting I could especially see the under the horizontal of T of Trust looks sheared, the rest not as much but still looks similar. So honestly I am not sure if it's MD or die deterioration? I think Bob's educational exercise on this will really help!

dinkyblue
02-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Doesn't your microscope have a light on it? Most of the problems I have is with lighting, mine has a small incandescent 10 watt bulb. I use a lamp light ever once in awhile only when I need more light, but lately the small one seems to do the trick. Also if you have a program like the one I use photoscape you can edit your pic's sharpen them, brighten them, remove or add color etc. It's free to download and use. Hope this will help you.............Dan

VAB2013
02-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Doesn't your microscope have a light on it? Most of the problems I have is with lighting, mine has a small incandescent 10 watt bulb. I use a lamp light ever once in awhile only when I need more light, but lately the small one seems to do the trick. Also if you have a program like the one I use photoscape you can edit your pic's sharpen them, brighten them, remove or add color etc. It's free to download and use. Hope this will help you.............Dan

Thank you Dan, I really appreciate this information! I would LOVE it if my scope had an incandescent bulb! But it has on board LED's which I turn off completely because the glare is unbelievable! Just trying out the Jansjo lights and I think they have potential I just need to find it :)

I will certainly download photoscape and give it a try, sounds very interesting! Thank you!