PDA

View Full Version : 1961d RPM

TPring
03-14-2018, 08:34 PM
I believe this is an RPM-025. VV (http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM025.htm), CC (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm025&die_state=mds)

There are about a half-dozen possibilities [017, 021, 023, 025, 029, 056 & 070] with the little 'hook' on the lower east side and 025 seems to be the closest fit, however, the shape of the MM is throwing me off. None of the others seem to be far enough south [below red line].

Substantial die scratches in the direction of the orange arrow.

Mine does not show the faint outer loop of the 'D'.

Any help is appreciated in narrowing down this variety.

Thanks for looking,

makecents
03-15-2018, 03:24 AM
Man, that one has a nice shape to it too, the hook is very prominent! It doesn't help that the date has a curl to it too I'm sure. You have done some very nice mm work with the toughest years, for this I applaud you!

jfines69
03-15-2018, 04:20 AM
I will take a better look at this one a little later... I am not, yet, convinced it is 025... Some things seem off to me but I am not sure???

TPring
03-15-2018, 05:09 AM
Something I just found this morning.

CC LDS pics (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm025&die_state=lds) showing the die scratches around the date and I just noticed the die clash behind the neck but, no other markers that I can distinguish.

VLDS?

**I knew there must have been another reason my dog woke me up at 4:30 :~

jfines69
03-15-2018, 12:49 PM
At least a LDS... Comparing yours between CCs 025 LDS http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm025&die_state=lds and the VVs 025 Stages http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM025.htm I can't figure out where yours falls in on VVs??? Yours and CCs do not have the die chips in the R of LIBERTY that shows on VVs Stage G and VV does not show any of the abrasions on Stage A thru F that yours and CCs have... Does yours have any of the die cracks that VV shows on the head???

TPring
03-15-2018, 07:05 PM
At least a LDS... Comparing yours between CCs 025 LDS... I can't figure out where yours falls in on VVs??? Yours and CCs do not have the die chips in the R of LIBERTY that shows on VVs Stage G and VV does not show any of the abrasions on Stage A thru F that yours and CCs have... Does yours have any of the die cracks that VV shows on the head???

It's a crazy, mixed-up world!:hanged:

I'll give it another look -- I completely missed the die chip from CC's LDS

Thanks for your help.

makecents
03-15-2018, 07:41 PM
It's a crazy, mixed-up world!:hanged:

I'll give it another look -- I completely missed the die chip from CC's LDS

Thanks for your help.You are killing the toughest years of mint marks (way above my head) but you need to understand you have the coolest and best teacher available in this realm of this particular facet of the Lincoln. I think you already know this but listen an pay attention and build on this! You will be the next one.:D I'm not a very smart or intelligent person but have always been able to see it in others. My simple gift and I'll take it!

TPring
03-15-2018, 11:42 PM
... Does yours have any of the die cracks that VV shows on the head???

I cannot see any: die cracks on the head, depressions, die chips, arced die scratch [CC (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm025&die_state=lds)] or scratches above EPU and, unfortunately I don't think my scope can get detailed enough pics with my lighting/setup.

Is there a limit on the number of stages there can be? Is there an average?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

TPring
03-15-2018, 11:51 PM
You are killing the toughest years of mint marks ...

And they are killing me [or maybe I am letting them kill me:angel:].

This is my ever-growing 'aggravation can' [filled mostly with '59s-'61s].

makecents
03-16-2018, 03:36 AM
Oh wow, that's an impressive aggravation can!! You are much more organized than I am!!

jfines69
03-16-2018, 03:41 AM
I cannot see any: die cracks on the head, depressions, die chips, arced die scratch [CC (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm025&die_state=lds)] or scratches above EPU and, unfortunately I don't think my scope can get detailed enough pics with my lighting/setup.

Is there a limit on the number of stages there can be? Is there an average?

Thanks again for all your assistance.
The chip is on VVs Stage G in the R of LIBERTY... VV also shows the cracks... As for Stages I don't think there is a limit at least not until the die explodes :LOL_Hair: CC list the stages as EDS - MDS and LDS where VV goes Stage A thru as far as needed... Both ways have their advantages just depends on how much over anal eyesing I want to do :LOL_Hair: If memory serves me correct VV has a couple that go thru Stage O??? At least we know it is RPM 025 and at least LDS... With your sample VV may have to adjust their stages??? Always glad to help!!!

joel
03-16-2018, 10:58 AM
You nailed that one TP!! What do the codes on your envelopes mean?

TPring
03-16-2018, 08:52 PM
... What do the codes on your envelopes mean?

In the original pic that is just the file identifier [along with date/MM] I use to find the .jpg faster [mainly for overlays].

- just using letters of the alphabet [nothing fancy] after originally using/starting with RPM000A -- I eventually just shortened it to A-Z then added numbers after the letter if I needed more than twenty-six.

jfines69
03-17-2018, 03:37 AM
In the original pic that is just the file identifier [along with date/MM] I use to find the .jpg faster [mainly for overlays].

- just using letters of the alphabet [nothing fancy] after originally using/starting with RPM000A -- I eventually just shortened it to A-Z then added numbers after the letter if I needed more than twenty-six.
Great minds think alike :LOL_Hair: I use letters, numbers in any combo I need!!!

VAB2013
03-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Great minds think alike :LOL_Hair: I use letters, numbers in any combo I need!!!

This is a very cool way to process and use process of elimination for RPM's TPring! I'm impressed! We have a great bunch of RPM enthusiasts here... sure makes it easier for us RPM newbie's when we need help! Rock on guys!

joel
03-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Cool system TP!! Thanks

TPring
03-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Cool system TP!! Thanks

Thanks.

Once I start doing the overlays I note the direction it is off [N/S/E/W] and the clock-wise or CCW tilt -- So I don't keep trying the same varieties over and over and, as references for other RPMs, if needed. It is still a work-in-progress.:tinysmile_grin_t:

TPring
03-17-2018, 09:12 AM
We have a great bunch of RPM enthusiasts here... sure makes it easier for us RPM newbie's when we need help! Rock on guys!

LOL -- That's about all we can hope for out here.

When I started, several months back, I would never have thought I would be doing RPMs [let alone enjoying them]. Now, when I look at LCs, I almost always look for RPMs first [DDOs/DDRs are usually an afterthought:tinysmile_cry_t3:].

I haven't even come across a 1995D/DDO [that I am aware of] ... and I have gone through quite a few 95Ds.

jfines69
03-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Thanks.

Once I start doing the overlays I note the direction it is off [N/S/E/W] and the clock-wise or CCW tilt -- So I don't keep trying the same varieties over and over and, as references for other RPMs, if needed. It is still a work-in-progress.:tinysmile_grin_t:
You forgot 1 column - AL: for Agravation Level (1 thru 1000) :LOL_Hair: 1000 due to the number of 60D RPMS :LOL_Hair: