PDA

View Full Version : 1954 D RPM 002

dinkyblue
03-31-2018, 10:02 AM
I like CC IMM 010 the mint mark position looks right. Looked at all the ones listed, this is the closest one I can find. Please have a look and see if I'm right or wrong.................dinkyblue

VAB2013
03-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Really nice RPM Dan! It does look closer to CC 010 but maybe it's just me, the MM looks a smidge off. Let's see what the guys say.

TPring
03-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Nice find and pics.

I think Viv is correct -- Your MM looks to be a good bit N of CC 010 (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1954&die_id=1954d1mm010&die_state=mds).

May be unlisted.

jfines69
03-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Yours looks to far north and east for 010... Did you check out 002??? CCs LDS http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1954&die_id=1954d1mm002&die_state=lds and VVs Stage C http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%201/1954DRPM002.htm On CCs there is a marker on the 9 that looks like it is there on yours also??? Just worn down... May need to do an overlay to be sure but I think it is 002 and yours is a VLDS/much later than Stage C???

dinkyblue
03-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Here's a image of the 9 in the date, The die chip does look like CC's 002, the listing says this is a tripled RPM that surprises me, I can't see any of the other makers on this coin except for the die chip, please do an overlay if you want Jim, that would be the logical thing to do and thank you................Dan

jfines69
04-01-2018, 04:09 AM
Here's a image of the 9 in the date, The die chip does look like CC's 002, the listing says this is a tripled RPM that surprises me, I can't see any of the other makers on this coin except for the die chip, please do an overlay if you want Jim, that would be the logical thing to do and thank you................Dan
I will get the overlay done for you... On the later die stages the extra south punching is pretty much gone... If yours matches up on the overlay then I would think the south punch is completely gone as well as most of not all markers due to die wear... Thanks for allowing me to do the overlay... I appreciate it!!!

jfines69
04-01-2018, 06:34 AM
With permission from Copper Coins (Thank you Bob) I created a couple of overlays... First the MM placement and then the marker from the 9 for CCs 002 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1954&die_id=1954d1mm002&die_state=lds Other than the die wear yours matches up perfect... I think yours is a VLDS and much later than VVs Stage C http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%201/1954DRPM002.htm So yours is 1MM-002/RPM-002!!!

Added - I updated your header info!!!

dinkyblue
04-01-2018, 07:32 AM
"HAPPY EASTER" to everyone: I never would have found this one due to missing elements like the D/D/D north and south. Doing the overlay is about the only way to match it up. Still a surprise for me, never would have thought it would turn out to be a triple RPM. Thank you for the overlay's, also I hope that members and people are able to check this one out for further knowledge about RPM penny's that are tricky and harder to find. I learned something from this one and that is things are not always as they seem to be. Thanks Jim, VAB2013, and TPring for your input on this one....................Dan

VAB2013
04-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Happy Easter Dan! Congrats on a very nice RPM! This one is a surprise! One thing that really helps the guys out on these tough ones is the quality of your photos! You really have a way of pulling out the smallest detail of things, great job on your photos!

dinkyblue
04-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Happy Easter to you too Viv, I would think you would be out hunting Easter eggs with the family today. This 1954 D was a hard one because most of the markers are gone, glad Jim spotted that die chip on the 9 in the date. This one was a surprise because of the tripled mint mark. Oh, thank you for your comment on my photo's I have been doing a lot of work on them trying to make them better. I do know that most of the problems are caused by the lighting. Now if I can learn how to do overlays like Jim does I'v got it made. Have a great day...................Dan

VAB2013
04-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Happy Easter to you too Viv, I would think you would be out hunting Easter eggs with the family today. This 1954 D was a hard one because most of the markers are gone, glad Jim spotted that die chip on the 9 in the date. This one was a surprise because of the tripled mint mark. Oh, thank you for your comment on my photo's I have been doing a lot of work on them trying to make them better. I do know that most of the problems are caused by the lighting. Now if I can learn how to do overlays like Jim does I'v got it made. Have a great day...................Dan

You are welcome Dan! No Easter Egg hunts for me today, my kids are grown and no grand babies yet :)

Yes, your photos are really nice so whatever you are doing is working well! Please tell me the name of the software you are using. You told me on another thread, but you have posted many RPM's since then and I cannot find it. This time I will write it down and get it downloaded. Anxious to give it a try! Thank you!

jfines69
04-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Happy Easter to you also Dan... Hopefully the easter bunny left you some thing better than a bunch of little jelly bean looking things laying around :LOL_Hair: Glad I could help... Your pics are coming out really good... You will get the overlays figured out eventually... If you ever need help with overlays just let me know and I will do what I can for you... If I can do them any one can!!!

dinkyblue
04-01-2018, 01:51 PM
The software I use for my photo editing is PhotoScape you can download it free just google it and choose a download site. I'm using a Nikon coolpix L28 to shoot down the microscope lens. The camera I have has a macro mode for close up's. Need to thank Jim for his overlay work, and thank you also for looking Happy Easter...................Dan

VAB2013
04-01-2018, 02:01 PM
The software I use for my photo editing is PhotoScape you can download it free just google it and choose a download site. I'm using a Nikon coolpix L28 to shoot down the microscope lens. The camera I have has a macro mode for close up's. Need to thank Jim for his overlay work, and thank you also for looking Happy Easter...................Dan

Great! Thank you Dan for this info! I have written down PhotoScape and will download it in a little while! Cool.. your Nikon is taking some very nice shots for you, and a bonus that it has a macro mode! Looking forward to what your next RPM find will be!