PDA

View Full Version : 2017P possible DDR at LB

VAB2013
07-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Just wondering, what do you guys think about the LB on this one? The vertical of the B looks really wide to all the ones I've compared it to and it doesn't look like PSD.

Thank you for looking!

makecents
07-06-2018, 02:58 AM
It does look a little chunky and even looks like there might be the slightest bit of notching in the northwest corner of each letter.

VAB2013
07-06-2018, 04:44 AM
Thank you Jon! I thought I might be seeing some notching there too. Found it late last night so after work today I'll give it a quick acetone soak and see if maybe those notches will show up better.

VAB2013
07-06-2018, 05:26 PM
A little acetone soak and... I'm not sure. There might be a notch in the B?

makecents
07-06-2018, 06:13 PM
I see it on both but more on the B. I'm a dreamer though!:)

VAB2013
07-06-2018, 06:17 PM
So am I Jon, it's okay :) Yeah I couldn't tell on the L, it almost looks like there some kind of little raised spot right where the notch would be, or maybe it's a notch too?

makecents
07-06-2018, 06:19 PM
So am I Jon, it's okay :) Yeah I couldn't tell on the L, it almost looks like there some kind of little raised spot right where the notch would be, or maybe it's a notch too?By the way Miss Ambassador, nice 500 there!!:)

VAB2013
07-06-2018, 06:26 PM
By the way Miss Ambassador, nice 500 there!!:)

Thank you very much Jon! I had to look around to see what you were talking about! Wow, thanks so much for the Reputation Points everyone!

jfines69
07-07-2018, 03:27 AM
The verticals of the L and B do look extra thick... There are also some indentations next to both verticals... I have noticed that on a lot of the lighter class 9 (class 6 for pre single squeeze)... Not sure why tho!!!

Petespockets55
07-07-2018, 05:14 AM
It is looking thicker at verticals of LB with slight notching/indentations on the upper left.

VAB2013
07-07-2018, 05:52 AM
Thank you Jim and Cliff! I will PM Bob and ask for his thoughts on this one. It would be cool if this is a DDR!

mustbebob
07-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately, this one goes into the 'Too minor to list' pile Viv. There does seem to be a very light amount of extra thickness. I am not convinced about the possible notching though. As a lot of my predecessors told me, if you have to look this hard to make a determination, then it is probably not worth that effort. Sorry...

VAB2013
07-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, this one goes into the 'Too minor to list' pile Viv. There does seem to be a very light amount of extra thickness. I am not convinced about the possible notching though. As a lot of my predecessors told me, if you have to look this hard to make a determination, then it is probably not worth that effort. Sorry...

Thank you very much Bob for helping us on this one! Yes Sir, you are right and I am looking too hard for a 2017P DDR! Maybe I should just relax with a cold eggnog and see where that takes me, at least then I won't be stressing so much over the little stuff :)

Always appreciate your help Bob!

Petespockets55
07-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Thank you very much Bob for helping us on this one! Yes Sir, you are right and I am looking too hard for a 2017P DDR! Maybe I should just relax with a cold eggnog and see where that takes me, at least then I won't be stressing so much over the little stuff :)

Always appreciate your help Bob!

Cold eggnog with a Water melon swizzle stick to give it a colorful summer flare?

VAB2013
07-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Cold eggnog with a Water melon swizzle stick to give it a colorful summer flare?

Now that sounds like a great idea! Fun to make it festive!

jcuve
07-08-2018, 07:01 PM
This would be pretty minor. I would hold onto it. I would argue, that if a few years passed, and there were no (maybe one) DDR for a given date, that maybe in the absence of more prominent doubled dies, something minor like this could get listed. The danger with listing something minor is twofold: the potential for too many listings (when minor are often similar), and the difficulty in attributing varieties with little to work with.

VAB2013
07-08-2018, 08:53 PM
This would be pretty minor. I would hold onto it. I would argue, that if a few years passed, and there were no (maybe one) DDR for a given date, that maybe in the absence of more prominent doubled dies, something minor like this could get listed. The danger with listing something minor is twofold: the potential for too many listings (when minor are often similar), and the difficulty in attributing varieties with little to work with.

Hello Jason! Really nice to see you! Thank you so much for this explanation! You answered the question I had but didn't ask regarding if time goes by and no DDR listings or very few for a given year surface. I will hold onto this one and see what happens!

VAB2013
08-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Well I found another one of these minor DDR's, same as the one in this thread. Looks to have the same die crack and chips on the left top Shield. What really stands out on this one while searching Shields is the thickness of the vertical of the B and the slanted distortion of the inside circles of the B. Come on guys, we need to find a better DDR than this for 2017!

jfines69
08-13-2018, 04:03 AM
Cool... This may turn out to be like the 2016 DDR Bob and just as difficult to find!!!

makecents
08-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Nice Viv!! Very cool you found another!!

Petespockets55
08-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Nice to have another pop under the scope Viv.