PDA

View Full Version : 1987 D new RPM?

makecents
08-04-2018, 04:12 PM
I don't see anything remotely close on any of the sites. Could I have a new RPM?

enamel7
08-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Either md or plating issues, not a rpm.

makecents
08-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Either md or plating issues, not a rpm.
With the zincolns I always rule out plating issues first and this one seemed way too consistent to be that. I know that MD can be isolated but this one just seemed different. Thanks for the help!!

Petespockets55
08-04-2018, 07:56 PM
That's a tough one Jon. My first thoughts were conflicted.
The secondary on yours looks flat but it also looks flat like many of the others for 1987.
It is a tough one without any notching on the serifs. So I'm going to say a definite .....
Don't know!:tinysmile_hmm_t:

mustbebob
08-05-2018, 08:05 AM
This is definitely MD as enamel7 suggested. It certainly makes you look hard at it though.

Coin5
08-05-2018, 08:09 AM
You know that I know I don't know:LOL_Hair:; but from the picture it looks like the secondary is flat and there is not notching in the corners, therefore I would think its MD or die deterioration.
CAUTION: Do not trust my judgement on this one (or any other one)!! :LOL_Hair:

TPring
08-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Those Zincolns are usually a tough call and I mostly avoid them.

makecents
08-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Thanks Cliff, Bob, Adrian and T!! I didn't really doubt enamel from the get go, very seldom wrong if ever!! I have a tough time with RPM's in general but even more with the zincolns as Cliff explained.

jfines69
08-08-2018, 03:13 AM
You know that I know I don't know:LOL_Hair:; but from the picture it looks like the secondary is flat and there is not notching in the corners, therefore I would think its MD or die deterioration.
CAUTION: Do not trust my judgement on this one (or any other one)!! :LOL_Hair:
:sign10: I do know that feeling :LOL_Hair:

Coin5
08-08-2018, 03:21 AM
Thanks, that's vewy vewy comforting... :LOL_Hair:

jfines69
08-08-2018, 03:21 AM
Cool looking MD Jon... Excellent pics... Not that I am 100% correct on this but how I try to Identify it as a RPM or MD is how the secondary would fit on the primary... On yours here if I align the secondary up the outside curve would not align correctly... The top section of the outside curve would align with the inside of the primary MM and the lower section would align with the outside of the primary MMs lower section... The vertical bar of the secondary would slide due west and align with the primarys vertical bar... I hope I explained that correctly... If not let me know and I can do an overlay to show you???

jfines69
08-08-2018, 03:22 AM
Thanks, that's vewy vewy comforting... :LOL_Hair:
:sign10: You are vewy vewy welcome :LOL_Hair:

makecents
08-08-2018, 04:10 AM
Cool looking MD Jon... Excellent pics... Not that I am 100% correct on this but how I try to Identify it as a RPM or MD is how the secondary would fit on the primary... On yours here if I align the secondary up the outside curve would not align correctly... The top section of the outside curve would align with the inside of the primary MM and the lower section would align with the outside of the primary MMs lower section... The vertical bar of the secondary would slide due west and align with the primarys vertical bar... I hope I explained that correctly... If not let me know and I can do an overlay to show you???Thanks Jim!! That will work! These have always given me fits!:~

jfines69
08-09-2018, 02:33 PM
They give me fits too... Between MD and split plating the only worse one is the combo :LOL_Hair: I downloaded your Date/MM pic and will get an over lay for you... Sometimes a pic is much better than words!!!

makecents
08-09-2018, 04:52 PM
They give me fits too... Between MD and split plating the only worse one is the combo :LOL_Hair: I downloaded your Date/MM pic and will get an over lay for you... Sometimes a pic is much better than words!!!Thank you Jim!! I have always been that person who does better with visual than explanations. No imagination I guess...

VAB2013
08-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Thank you Jim!! I have always been that person who does better with visual than explanations. No imagination I guess...

:LOL_Hair: you guys are a hoot... Now our new member Coin5-Adrian has officially joined the fun bunch! Nice to come here to learn and have a few laughs!

I'm with Jon... no imagination... so please Jim will you post this overlay for us to see!

makecents
08-09-2018, 05:50 PM
:LOL_Hair: you guys are a hoot... Now our new member Coin5-Adrian has officially joined the fun bunch! Nice to come here to learn and have a few laughs!

I'm with Jon... no imagination... so please Jim will you post this overlay for us to see!I'm liking Adrian!! Definitely fits the mold of the crazy ones!!:LOL_Hair:

VAB2013
08-09-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm liking Adrian!! Definitely fits the mold of the crazy ones!!:LOL_Hair:

same here!

jfines69
08-10-2018, 03:52 AM
Rock and roll... I am attempting my hand at coloring on pics but I failed coloring in kindergarten... I always ate the crayons and glue :LOL_Hair:

jfines69
08-11-2018, 03:34 AM
I did an overlay to show how this coin is MD and not a RPM... On the area in question I did blue for the overlay and redish for the base pic... The lines show the alignment of what would be the outside of the upper and lower edges of the blue area (MD)... I slid the overlay west and north... The inside vertical aligns correctly with the base pic as does the outer loop... The lower bar is in the correct location but the upper bar would align with the inside of the upper bar on the base pic... Let me know if a better explanation is needed... Thanks Jon for letting me do the overlay!!!

Disclaimer - No crayons or glue were harmed in the making of this overlay :LOL_Hair:

makecents
08-11-2018, 05:06 AM
I did an overlay to show how this coin is MD and not a RPM... On the area in question I did blue for the overlay and redish for the base pic... The lines show the alignment of what would be the outside of the upper and lower edges of the blue area (MD)... I slid the overlay west and north... The inside vertical aligns correctly with the base pic as does the outer loop... The lower bar is in the correct location but the upper bar would align with the inside of the upper bar on the base pic... Let me know if a better explanation is needed... Thanks Jon for letting me do the overlay!!!

Disclaimer - No crayons or glue were harmed in the making of this overlay :LOL_Hair:Fantastic work Jim, thank you!! This gives a very nice visual that even I can understand!

I'm glad you were able to withstand eating the crayons and glue while taking on this project, they probably would not help your meds!:LOL_Hair: Or maybe that's what you're missing!!:)

jfines69
08-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Fantastic work Jim, thank you!! This gives a very nice visual that even I can understand!

I'm glad you were able to withstand eating the crayons and glue while taking on this project, they probably would not help your meds!:LOL_Hair: Or maybe that's what you're missing!!:)
Glad I could help... That may be just what I need :LOL_Hair: I think they changed the formula since I was a kid - no VOCs these days :LOL_Hair: