PDA

View Full Version : Just Arrived

MACK
05-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello
I've been collecting Lincoln Cents since I was a kid, and now it adds up to about 52 years.
Started by buying rolls at the local bank in the mid 50's, trying to fill vol. 1 & 2 blue Whitman albums. By 1959 I had everything but a the key dates. First penny I ever bought from a dealer was a 1922D in 1960, paid about $2.50 for it and picked up the green Whitman book. By 1962 I had a paper route and would buy $50 bags to go through, in a couple of years I had both books full except the 1909s/1909sVDB/and one 1914D.
Bought a 1909s in about 1965 for about $8.00 then just started getting too busy with life to keep it up until the early 1980's.
From pennies, I moved into other coins, but always wanted to finish that one book with a 1909s VDB.
In 1996 a finally broke down and bought an uncertified AU 1909s VDB for $495, more than a complete Washington quarter album I picked up the same year.
So I have one complete lincoln green Whitman and 40 or fifty almost complete other blue books, and of course probably 20K or so loose wheats.
Now, I'm curious about varieties, but I need a good way to see the small letters and dates. Any cent I look at now turns into a doubled die right before my eyes, if you know what I mean.
Before I get into these things I have a few questions.
I have read how the dies rotate, clash, or pick up other abnormalties, but when these things are made wouldn't the majority of them be in a single batch, and possibly in a single bag?
Wouldn't a DDO, like the 1969s, that has only a few examples, only be found in a few bags produced at the same time?
What are the chances they would not be in the same batch?
MACK

mustbebob
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Mack,
First off, welcome to the Forum. We are glad you're here!
As far as your statement concerning varieties in the same bag, that is a relatively true statement. Normally, the presses emptied into a large bin, and the bags were filled from that bin. If a doubled die were struck, then there would normally be many of that variety packed into a single bag. However, the tote bins were very large, and they received coins from many presses. The sheer number of bags filled with coins from that bin enabled the varieties to be pretty well split up. No one really knows where those bags may have ended up, so it is possible to have a pretty good distribution in the federal reserve system. However, varieties found in a specific area of the country can still be the norm. Now days, the coins are placed in huge containers weighing many thousands of ponds and distributed that way. The mint no longer bags them like they did in the good old days.
You mentioned your eyes being like most of ours is. I use a microscope, and if you are seeing doubled dies all the time now, you might want to consider that if a loupe is no longer useful to you.
Anyway, welcome again!

RWBILLER
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Mack:
There are some good web sites like LCR, Coneca and some good books like the "Cherry Picker's Guide" and books by Ken Potter and David Lange etc.
Oh, I forgot, Welcome to LCR!
Thanks
Roger

jupiterkm1
05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Welcome Mack! Similar history to yours, been collecting along time, but only recently gotten interested in the varieties. And what an education and fun time it's been since! Learned ALOT in the past 5 months right here. You are in the right place! Kevin

Wheat Cents
05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome the the forum..

OCD
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

nightowl
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Joe

JeanK
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Glad to have you with us Mack! We dearly love pictures of coins.. hint hint. :)
Jean

jcuve
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the forum!

1sgret
05-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

koinmon
05-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Welcome MACK Great place to learn.