PDA

View Full Version : Pictures page for errors,

Coin5
12-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Although the Glossary is very helpful, the amount of info contained in there is overwhelming for a newbie ( like myself). The biggest issue I had has been that since I had no idea how the different errors are named is difficult to search in the forum or glossary for them as one does not know what to search for.
So to speed up the learning process I think it will be helpful to create a dedicated page similar to the glossary; but containing only pictures with the errors name and a link to the glossary where the explanation is. That will facilitate identifying the error easily and learn a bit about it before posting in the forum. Anyone willing to contribute could donate their images of particular errors and the best example can be chosen for that page and perhaps provide links to other pictures of the same error be in subsequent pages.
I don't know if that's a good idea or if it is even possible; but it will be good to hear your opinions on this matter.
Thanks,
Adrian

VAB2013
12-14-2018, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure Adrian, this would need to be decided by Roger and Peter and also discussed with Will. One thing I thought about is, on the Error Attributions sub-forum there is a drop down box that lists 16 of the most common errors. But the list is really extensive and if you look at the lists on error-ref.com, some of those are very difficult to understand. I think a good way to start is to become familiar with the 16 different ones on the Error Attributions list and go from there. It's okay to post a Lincoln in Q&A or Error Attributions even if you don't know what the error is... or is not.

GrumpyEd
12-14-2018, 11:12 AM
I think using the list here and http://www.error-ref.com/ so you know what to look for then google images for more.

Petespockets55
12-14-2018, 11:41 AM
I understand your frustration learning all the terms. Most people here are still trying to get a grip on them (and that definitely includes me).

But that would be a massive undertaking and be a duplication of the info at the link Ed posted.
Imagine trying to find an image among thousands and thousands that matches a certain coin.

That doesn't mean you can't start a library of images for yourself as you come across them or see a thread here.

makecents
12-14-2018, 12:27 PM
I think Viv broke it down quite well!! Adrian, I saw you post this earlier, before anyone had replied and I was trying to think of a nice way to say, I did not agree with the idea..... Thankfully we have the best Ambassador around who knows how to do this correctly and with tact!!:) Everyone above has explained why it would not be the best plan. In simplest terms, I think some things in life have to be done longhand, and this is one of them. By doing so you will retain and remember all of these items better. Some folks can look at a particular error, variety or attribution and it's theirs from then on, I have to do the same thing a few times before it sticks. One of the other cool things about searching through the glossary and error-ref is you will learn other things along the way while looking for what you really want to find. One of the greatest tools on this site though, are the people, continue to utilize them, and the many other links on this site and it will get better with time.

My two Lincolns,

Jon.

Maineman750
12-15-2018, 02:15 AM
I think using the list here and http://www.error-ref.com/ so you know what to look for then google images for more.

Grumpy hit the nail on the head...we provide links to the information because the work is already done

Coin5
12-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Well, it looks like it's not a good idea since most of you disagree.
Thanks to all for your opinions.
Adrian

VAB2013
12-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Thank you Adrian for the idea! Here's a link to error-ref.com that is like a glossary where you can click on the term and then see an explanation and photos. This list of terms is a mixture of errors and non-errors and the list is very long! Thanks to Mike Diamond and others involved in the error-ref.com website, this is some great study material!

http://www.error-ref.com/index-of-entries/

makecents
12-15-2018, 09:15 AM
AdrianViv was explaining about Error-Ref, they also have a search engine in the upper left hand corner that says "Search this website..." Plug in, say, "plating issues", hit your enter key and it will bring up any and all things related. They have a really great breakdown of topics and subtopics. It is a lot of work sometimes but like I said earlier, that's the best way to learn in my opinion.

GrumpyEd
12-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Adrian

It's not that it's a bad idea.

Even if space to store them was free and someone had lots of time to put it together it would require permission to copy them from each site and if it was done based on only examples people here have they still need to give permission and even then it would be very limited since people here might not have great examples of everything. So the task is redundant and a lot of effort needed.

I like to use the ones here and error-ref so I know what I'm looking for then Google search and click "images" and you'll see some good examples and you know what to ignore since you already knew in general what it is from here and error-ref.

Maineman750
12-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Adrian

Oh it's a good idea....but the manpower required would be pretty tremendous....be we always appreciate new ideas

Coin5
12-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Great idea to use error-ref.com more. Honestly, I haven't used it that much except when links have been provided here by those helping me in the threads, so I'm not familiar with its' search feature, etc. It is true, there are many different types of errors and it takes time no matter which way one chooses to learn all of them (if that is even possible). I have been very fortunate with the help you have provided here in helping me with that endeavour and it's always more fun (less boring) to bring my finds here and start learning from the debate and your experiences than trying to figure it out by myself endlessly reading. That's the learning method I have chosen: "learning while searching" (hands on). For me it will be extra boring trying to read all that and memorize it without having the coin on hand.
I made that suggestion as I thought it could speed up the error identification process and get a general idea before posting; but not to replace the posting itself and miss the fun part.
Again thanks to all for your valuable help and opinions.
Adrian
Added: I wasn't aware of the massive effort that will require either, as I know just a few errors at this point in time.
Thanks.

jfines69
12-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Error Ref is an accumulation of knowledge that took years of work by numerous people... If we could add up all of the time that folks spent researching all of the different errors it would probably top 1000 years!!!