PDA

View Full Version : JPG vs JPEG

jfines69
12-24-2018, 04:09 AM
I was doing a little research on the JPG vs JPEG and found a little more info... JPG/JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Expert Group... Here is a little info for ya'll https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-JPG-and-JPEG Best to read the different answers as they all pertain to reasons why the JPG and JPEG are used... Also the individual Sopha Alex replied on Jan 10, 2018 to a question and answered the best (in my opinion)... Hope this helps a little better!!!

Petespockets55
12-24-2018, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the link Jim.
They may be interchangeable and the same but on this website they do open the image differently.
Jpeg with an e does require the file to be downloaded and opened before viewing.
Jpg with no "e" will open the image with no additional steps.

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 08:23 AM
Thank you Jim for this techie confuser information! I've seen the same thing happen that Cliff is describing. Also... does anyone know why when you click on some photos, then click the back arrow to get out of them that it exits you out of the forum? I can't remember if it's the JPEG that also does that. The "E" in JPEG's could also be causing the Exit? Let me go try a few threads and see.

Added: I always click on "Remember Me" so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Maineman750
12-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Thank you Jim for this techie confuser information! I've seen the same thing happen that Cliff is describing. Also... does anyone know why when you click on some photos, then click the back arrow to get out of them that it exits you out of the forum? I can't remember if it's the JPEG that also does that. The "E" in JPEG's could also be causing the Exit? Let me go try a few threads and see.

Added: I always click on "Remember Me" so that doesn't seem to be the issue.
Clicking on the "back arrow" often causes issues on many websites.....but the question I have is "Why don't you click the "close" button at the bottom right of the picture ?"

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Clicking on the "back arrow" often causes issues on many websites.....but the question I have is "Why don't you click the "close" button at the bottom right of the picture ?"

Thank you for this tip Roger! I have never seen the "close" button at the bottom right of the picture, but next time I will look for it.
Every now and then the "back arrow" exits me out of the forum, but I don't remember exactly what I was doing that might have caused it :ooh:

Maineman750
12-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Thank you for this tip Roger! I have never seen the "close" button at the bottom right of the picture, but next time I will look for it.
Every now and then the "back arrow" exits me out of the forum, but I don't remember exactly what I was doing that might have caused it :ooh:

Just go to a thread with pics and try it.....that's why it's there.....the back button is not meant for that because the pic opens in a new window so there is really nowhere to go "back" to.

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Roger, here is one example where you have to click the back button but it takes you back to the thread (no exit from the forum). I'm still looking for an example that exits me out of the forum.

Click on one of Sheila's JPG's on this thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?44111-1988-P-NO-FG

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Here is the thread where we were trying to figure this out... it may have something to do with embedded photos?

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43747-Attaching-Pics&highlight=exit

Maineman750
12-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Roger, here is one example where you have to click the back button but it takes you back to the thread (no exit from the forum). I'm still looking for an example that exits me out of the forum.

Click on one of Sheila's JPG's on this thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?44111-1988-P-NO-FG

Doesn't do that for me....I get the "close" button on the bottom right....do you have that ?

jfines69
12-24-2018, 01:32 PM
The only difference I see between the 2 threads Vivien linked us to is how the pics show up in the posts... When attached thru the Go Advanced button followed by the Manage Attachments button the pics will show in the thread in a box http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43747-Attaching-Pics&highlight=exit When I click the pics in those boxes I have had no problems with them opening in a new tab... However when they are not in that box such as in Shielas thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?44111-1988-P-NO-FG then the JPEG pics open in a separate image viewer... Try loading a JPEG and JPG into a post using the Go Advanced route and lets see what happens... All of mine are jpg!!!

GrumpyEd
12-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Nothing I read says there is anything different about the files so it makes sense that it could just be how they attached.

TPring
12-24-2018, 05:20 PM
:sign10:

I think it is time to move on.

I just wish we could see pics without having to log in.

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Doesn't do that for me....I get the "close" button on the bottom right....do you have that ?

No Sir, I do not see a close button on the bottom right. When I click a JPG it opens in another tab. To close it I have to click on the X at the upper right of the tab. I checked my minimize on the browser window and it's normal so it's not chopping anything off. I'm using a Dell laptop with WIN 10 and Chrome.

VAB2013
12-24-2018, 09:57 PM
The only difference I see between the 2 threads Vivien linked us to is how the pics show up in the posts... When attached thru the Go Advanced button followed by the Manage Attachments button the pics will show in the thread in a box http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43747-Attaching-Pics&highlight=exit When I click the pics in those boxes I have had no problems with them opening in a new tab... However when they are not in that box such as in Shielas thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?44111-1988-P-NO-FG then the JPEG pics open in a separate image viewer... Try loading a JPEG and JPG into a post using the Go Advanced route and lets see what happens... All of mine are jpg!!!

I really appreciate your research into this Jim, Ed Cliff and Roger! It would be nice if there was just one way to do it (attach photos) so they always open in another tab and you don't have to download the file first. That way is so much easier when you are trying to help someone with an attribution and for other members who just want to see the photos. There may not be anything that can be done when it comes to JPEG's so we may be stuck with the download issue.

jfines69
12-25-2018, 03:59 AM
Nothing I read says there is anything different about the files so it makes sense that it could just be how they attached.
The only difference between the files is the naming convention... The Windows based computers, prior to Windows 95) did not recognize a file name with more than 3 numbers/letters after the dot (i.e. .jpeg would be invalid (fried the windows system :LOL_Hair:) and .jpg would be valid) I believe it is a hold over from that time... There are still old windows based computers in operation out there!!!

jfines69
12-25-2018, 04:06 AM
I really appreciate your research into this Jim, Ed Cliff and Roger! It would be nice if there was just one way to do it (attach photos) so they always open in another tab and you don't have to download the file first. That way is so much easier when you are trying to help someone with an attribution and for other members who just want to see the photos. There may not be anything that can be done when it comes to JPEG's so we may be stuck with the download issue.
I could go deeper into this discussion but I don't want to fry everyones brains (mine included :LOL_Hair:) with programming theory and such... I have already looked at the source code for the 2 threads you previously linked us to... There is a difference in how the different ways of attaching images are handled but not that should cause an issue with viewing an image!!!

Maineman750
12-25-2018, 04:50 AM
No Sir, I do not see a close button on the bottom right. When I click a JPG it opens in another tab. To close it I have to click on the X at the upper right of the tab. I checked my minimize on the browser window and it's normal so it's not chopping anything off. I'm using a Dell laptop with WIN 10 and Chrome.
OK....I know when to quit :LOL_Hair:

WaterSport
12-27-2018, 06:43 AM
You learn something new everyday! Thanks for sharing.

WS