PDA

View Full Version : A couplel of 2017's

scubalou
04-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Using my new scope after Viv set me on the right path. I'm looking at a couple of 2017's. The 7 on coin 2 seems wide with possibly a notch on the top right. Coin 1 looks like a notch on the 2 bottom left inside and outside. I'm thinking all the numbers on that look like some sort of doubling. Wanted to put a ? on these but it wasn't allowed. Comments and suggestions please.
Lou

makecents
04-06-2019, 03:42 AM
You really need to do different posts for different coins Lou. There may be something going on with coin 1 but your pics are too close, you need to pull back some get the whole date in one shot and maybe even some of the surrounding area. Coin 2 looks to be flattened by circulation and it's got a lot of die deterioration too.

scubalou
04-06-2019, 05:34 AM
O.K. Jon. Just learned how to do extreme close ups, thought that was a good thing. Here's a couple of pics of coin one.

makecents
04-06-2019, 06:20 AM
I understand Lou, I did the same thing with the closeups and still do occasionally. :) I'm still not sure but I think it's just deterioration and some slide MD on that one. If you could, take a tight shot of LIBE and one of ERTY.

scubalou
04-06-2019, 07:16 AM
O.K. Jon: By that one I assume (did I spell that right? lol), you mean coin #2. Here's a few pics.
Lou

makecents
04-06-2019, 08:12 AM
O.K. Jon: By that one I assume (did I spell that right? lol), you mean coin #2. Here's a few pics.
LouNo Lou, coin 1, the one we were just looking at and this is why you only have one coin per post.

Do LIBE in one pic and ERTY in another pic.

If you could, take a pic of the northwest quadrant of the shield too. Thanks!

scubalou
04-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Unable to get Libe and ERTY in two pics. Had to use 3 pics. Same with the shield, had to come out of macro to get a larger shot.
Lou

makecents
04-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Lou, the one you had labeled as coin 1 has a stain on the date in between the zero and one. That is the coin you need to take pics of. Take the other one you just took pics of and toss it in your "back to the bank" bin.

scubalou
04-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Sorry Jon: I've got several 2017's on my desk. That one was completely different. Here's the one with the stain.

makecents
04-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Sorry Jon: I've got several 2017's on my desk. That one was completely different. Here's the one with the stain.

scubalou
04-06-2019, 12:04 PM
You must have taken a handful of patience pill this morning.

makecents
04-06-2019, 12:17 PM
I'm not 100% with the fuzzy pics but I think yours is a later die state of WDDO-006. See if you can find the markers.

LINK (http://doubleddie.com/2318537.html)

scubalou
04-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Jon: I think you've nailed it. I have the dot below the west side of the B in liberty, the dot above the top left in the mm. The die chip over the U in Pluribus is larger than what Wexler shows, but as you say a later die stage. Here's the pics.
Thanks so much Jon, You the man: Lou
P.S. it's a WDDO6. no R's posted yet.

makecents
04-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Jon: I think you've nailed it. I have the dot below the west side of the B in liberty, the dot above the top left in the mm. The die chip over the U in Pluribus is larger than what Wexler shows, but as you say a later die stage. Here's the pics.
Thanks so much Jon, You the man: Lou
P.S. it's a WDDO6. no R's posted yet.I'm still not 100%. The crack on the left side of the shield is quite common but yours does look similar. Thanks, I changed the DDR.:)

scubalou
04-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Jon: I'm rater embarrassed by what I just found on the WDDO-6. It indeed may be something else. I was so consumed with the wide 7 that I never even looked at the motto. Here's three pics of the motto. Looks like serious doubling to me.

makecents
04-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Jon: I'm rater embarrassed by what I just found on the WDDO-6. It indeed may be something else. I was so consumed with the wide 7 that I never even looked at the motto. Here's three pics of the motto. Looks like serious doubling to me. This would be a time for your closeups Lou. Pretty sure that is the lighting.

scubalou
04-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Always learning. Had no idea lighting would do that. Still look some doubling, hope it's not md.
Lou

makecents
04-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Not sure at this point Lou. I think that there is some major deterioration going on there but the "S" in TRUST is odd. It reminds me of Cliffs discovery coin but none of the rest does. Here is Cliffs coin.

(http://www.varietyvista.com/01e%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%205/2017PDDO001%20cent.htm)

scubalou
04-06-2019, 05:12 PM
I see. It doesn't even look like it was shaped in one piece. Looks like the top is separate from the bottom.
See if anyone else weighs in.
Lou

jfines69
04-08-2019, 03:50 AM
Lou,
A little reminder for you... There are some exceptions to 1 coin per thread and this is not one of them... I know you are still new to all of this but when you post more than 1 coin in a thread continuously a lot of folks will not comment as it gets confusing and me being old I am one of those :LOL_Hair: If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page there is a box titled Members who have viewed this thread and on your thread here there are 15 with me and Jon being 2 of those... Folks will not always comment but you would have a better chance of more comments... Now on to the coin!!!

jfines69
04-08-2019, 03:56 AM
Close ups are good but it helps is you get a wider shot first and then close ups... It is always good to have a clear full obv and rev pic if possible... That gives a better sense of the dies over all condition... It is never easy for me any way to get a good pic of shiney coins and for some reason shield cents are the worse... Would it be ok to down load and attempt to remove some of the brightness from your pics??? That may help in seeing what you have???

VAB2013
04-08-2019, 04:53 AM
Lou, you are putting forth a lot of effort with these shiny shields! Have you tried taping a circular piece of paper over the LED lights? Another thing you can try is if you have some kind of lamp, get a 40 watt equivalent "Daylight" LED bulb. WalMart has them, I got the Great Value brand (450 lumens brightness) for a few bucks. I suggest turning those on-board scope LED's almost completely off and experiment with this WalMart bulb. You can try it with the shade on the lamp, shade off, shade tilted to one side (if it has a shade) or no shade at all is fine too. You can position the lamp in different places around your desk and find a spot that gives the light you need.

Jon and Jim, ya'll are doing a great job helping Lou out!

VAB2013
04-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Lou I just ran across a 2017P that looks similar to what you are looking at on yours. Here is the link to it http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?45110-2017P-Post-for-scubalou

scubalou
04-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks Jim: Understood. Guess I was just trying to save space.:crossedlips:

scubalou
04-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks Viv: I'll do better.

VAB2013
04-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Thanks Viv: I'll do better.

You are welcome Lou! You are doing just fine, it takes awhile especially with new equipment to get used to it and then try to make the pics better! One thing I like about the WalMart bulb is since it's LED it burns cool, I cover my bulb with different thicknesses of white socks LOL! You can leave the socks on there for awhile before they start getting hot. The "Daylight" bulb seems to make a big difference over others that I've tried.

scubalou
04-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks Viv: I like the socks thing but in MA. I'll have to use ''red" ones or I'll be in hot water. :sign10:

VAB2013
04-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Thanks Viv: I like the socks thing but in MA. I'll have to use ''red" ones or I'll be in hot water. :sign10:

LOL... guess you could try red but it might make the coin look pink :) I also have some of those white cotton gloves I use but if the coin is a Shield I use the thicker socks!

jfines69
04-11-2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks Jim: Understood. Guess I was just trying to save space.:crossedlips:
That's what all the hard drives are for :LOL_Hair: No problem... I have done the same thing in the past... I want you to get as many comments as possible... It helps in the long run!!!

jfines69
04-11-2019, 02:53 AM
:sign10::sign10: