PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Rev Bay 5 Anomaly

Rowdyricster
04-25-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm stumped...again.:squigglemouth: This anomaly fills almost all of Bay 5 of Lincoln Memorial. It is very visible on the Rev image. At first I thought it was damage. Then I thought some sort of die clash or other type of die damage. None of it makes any sense to me. If any of you would just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance for looking.

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Gee-wiz... where did you find that? LOL I am really clueless... are the anomalies all raised? Kinda looks like they are. Plating blisters maybe? But odd to see them just in one bay and scattered around like that!

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Any damage visible on the obverse in that area?

Rowdyricster
04-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Gee-wiz... where did you find that? LOL I am really clueless... are the anomalies all raised? Kinda looks like they are. Plating blisters maybe? But odd to see them just in one bay and scattered around like that!

Yeah, they are all raised. I forgot to mention that I had considered blisters, too, but the absence of them anywhere else on the coin pretty much led me away from that. I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but I am comforted that I'm not the only one stumped. :sign10:

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 06:09 PM
Not terrible at all Rowdy! Glad to make you feel at home here! I wonder if it could be impurities in the zinc core trying to escape?

Rowdyricster
04-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Any damage visible on the obverse in that area?

Not at all.

Rowdyricster
04-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Not terrible at all Rowdy! Glad to make you feel at home here! I wonder if it could be impurities in the zinc core trying to escape?

:bigsmile: I feel so much at home here, I've kicked off my shoes. :LOL_Hair: A couple of them almost look like tiny IDB's, but the impurities in the zinc core is probably the best explanation at this point, though.

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Not at all.

Okay, thank you! Well... hummm.... I see plating disturbance on the obv/rev (those lines) and something odd in Bay 1... (and it's not a WAM, sometimes I get so caught up on something I miss the obvious) Bay 5 looks like a chicken did a little dance there LOL! It really doesn't look like PSD either. Let's get some more looks :tinysmile_twink_t:

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 06:18 PM
:bigsmile: I feel so much at home here, I've kicked off my shoes. :LOL_Hair: A couple of them almost look like tiny IDB's, but the impurities in the zinc core is probably the best explanation at this point, though.

Awesome! I like that! Let's see what the guys think when they take a look at this oddness!

Rowdyricster
04-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Viv. You're always a help to me and I appreciate it!

VAB2013
04-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Viv. You're always a help to me and I appreciate it!

You are always welcome Rowdy! Thank you! That's the great thing about this place... we may struggle for answers sometimes, but somebody here knows!

makecents
04-26-2019, 02:49 AM
Did you try collapsing the anomaly? If it is solid, I would agree with Viv on the impurities under the plating. This may have been where Sheila should have jumped in with debris trapped under the plating.

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 04:03 AM
Did you try collapsing the anomaly? If it is solid, I would agree with Viv on the impurities under the plating. This may have been where Sheila should have jumped in with debris trapped under the plating.

Thanks, Jon. I thought of that when I woke up this morning, but you beat me to it. I tried it with a toothpick, but to no avail.

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 04:53 AM
I just found a post on another forum with a similar "anomaly" in the same location. Obviously not exactly the same. Nevertheless, it is more advanced and had burst, exposing zinc rot, I assume. I don't know if it's okay to post a link to another forum, but if it is, I'll post it later.

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 07:50 AM
I just found a post on another forum with a similar "anomaly" in the same location. Obviously not exactly the same. Nevertheless, it is more advanced and had burst, exposing zinc rot, I assume. I don't know if it's okay to post a link to another forum, but if it is, I'll post it later.

Cool Rowdy! Yes you can post links to websites and links to photos, we cannot however post someone else's actual photo without the owner/author's express written consent.

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Thanks, Viv. Here is the link (http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=296203). I believe it is the 6th post down.

Added: I knew about linking websites and pics, but (after reading a very old thread about other forums) I was hesitant to post the link.

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Jon and Rowdy... I asked Sheila to come look at this one to see if it looks anything like the one she sent to Wexler that had debris trapped under the plating.

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Viv. Here is the link (http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=296203). I believe it is the 6th post down.

Added: I knew about linking websites and pics, but (after reading a very old thread about other forums) I was hesitant to post the link.

That's cool you found the 1994 in the link that is very similar to yours! Nobody said anything about the anomaly next to Lincoln... odd... just the die crack.

Sheila ruley
04-26-2019, 08:39 AM
I'm stumped...again.:squigglemouth: This anomaly fills almost all of Bay 5 of Lincoln Memorial. It is very visible on the Rev image. At first I thought it was damage. Then I thought some sort of die clash or other type of die damage. None of it makes any sense to me. If any of you would just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance for looking.

142029Did you try using a toothpick to see if they collapse when you press on it? If it does that would be blisters.

Sheila ruley
04-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Did you use a toothpick test? Pressed down and see if they distort. Is that a good idea guys? If they are blisters they will distort.

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Did you try using a toothpick to see if they collapse when you press on it? If it does that would be blisters.

Thank you so much for looking, Sheila. I did try the toothpick test this morning and there was no collapsing.

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 09:06 AM
That's cool you found the 1994 in the link that is very similar to yours! Nobody said anything about the anomaly next to Lincoln... odd... just the die crack.

Hahaha....I noticed that too. I suppose they were too preoccupied with the die crack to notice the rest of the coin. :sign10:

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Hahaha....I noticed that too. I suppose they were too preoccupied with the die crack to notice the rest of the coin. :sign10:

LOL... reminds me of a thread years ago when a newbie posted a coin asking about something real simple like a die crack on the reverse. Maineman noticed it had a nice doubled column and he posted something about it and the original poster never came back to the thread to know he/she had a doubled column!

Sheila ruley
04-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Thank you so much for looking, Sheila. I did try the toothpick test this morning and there was no collapsing.

That’s pretty interesting.

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Rowdy here's something I just found on error-ref.com about Subsurface Corrosion (http://www.error-ref.com/?s=plating+blisters). See what you think!

Rowdyricster
04-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Rowdy here's something I just found on error-ref.com about Subsurface Corrosion (http://www.error-ref.com/?s=plating+blisters). See what you think!

Thanks for the link, Viv. I checked it out a few minutes ago. I can see where Subsurface Corrosion (as opposed to plating blisters) could be the culprit; however, it really seems odd to me that such a small area is so packed with it and the rest of the coin, for the most part, is trouble free. None of the pictures I've seen of Subsurface Corrosion or Plating Blisters, for that matter, seems very similar in size or shape, not to mention being compacted into one small area of the coin. At the same time, I know that there is no rule corrosion must follow, so..... :~

VAB2013
04-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the link, Viv. I checked it out a few minutes ago. I can see where Subsurface Corrosion (as opposed to plating blisters) could be the culprit; however, it really seems odd to me that such a small area is so packed with it and the rest of the coin, for the most part, is trouble free. None of the pictures I've seen of Subsurface Corrosion or Plating Blisters, for that matter, seems very similar in size or shape, not to mention being compacted into one small area of the coin. At the same time, I know that there is no rule corrosion must follow, so..... :~

I agree it's odd to see this concentrated only in one small area. Jim has not seen your thread yet... let's see what he says!

jfines69
04-29-2019, 03:53 AM
Cool looking coin... To me it looks like debri under the plating much like Sheilas... No telling if it was something stuck directly to the blank prior to plating or if it was in the plating tank... Eventually nature takes over (even faster when the plating gets damage) and corrosion of the zinc unsues!!!

Rowdyricster
04-29-2019, 06:01 AM
Cool looking coin... To me it looks like debri under the plating much like Sheilas... No telling if it was something stuck directly to the blank prior to plating or if it was in the plating tank... Eventually nature takes over (even faster when the plating gets damage) and corrosion of the zinc unsues!!!

Thanks for taking a look, Jim. I appreciate your assessment!

scubalou
04-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Well, I'd like to put in my two cents but I haven't got change of a nickle. Its almost like a munchkin took a little tool and made the marks. Wish I could be of some help but having them all in one bay makes no sense to me.

Rowdyricster
04-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Well, I'd like to put in my two cents but I haven't got change of a nickle. Its almost like a munchkin took a little tool and made the marks. Wish I could be of some help but having them all in one bay makes no sense to me.

Hahaha! Yeah, I like the munchkin idea. LoL. I've come across several coins with debris and plating blisters, but none so localized. There is no rhyme or reason with contamination, though. Still, I like the coin. :O

jfines69
05-02-2019, 03:20 AM
They would have to be real small munchkins at that Mini Munchkins (MMs) :LOL_Hair: