PDA

View Full Version : AmScope is having a sale - what do you guys think about this one?

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Well, I have been on the phone with AmScope trying to put together a good deal and this is what we came up with. I'm trying to stay around $300 and I got an email from AmScope with a 15% off code, with free shipping, this would be $285.00.

Sharp Stereo Microscope 5X-10X-15X-30X (https://www.amscope.com/sharp-stereo-microscope-5x-10x-15x-30x.html)

5MP USB Microscope Digital Camera (with stitching software) (https://www.amscope.com/5mp-usb-microscope-camera-measurement-software.html)

The AmScope representative said I should be able to get a full coin shot at 5X with this one. The other alternative would be to spend a lot more money on a different scope starting at 3.5X, add a Barlow lens, etc.

Added: it has a 12V/10W Tungsten Bulb. I had to look that up - I think it just means it's incandescent with a filament of tungsten wire inside the bulb. When I was talking with the AmSouth Rep he said "sounds like you have been traumatized by LED lights"! He nailed that one!

Added: after reading a review, it looks like this one will not shoot a full cent. The one below will with the 0.5X Barlow, but it is designed for ambient light and the only light attachment for it is a dang LED ring light!

https://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/zoom-power/3-5x-90x-zoom-trinocular-stereo-microscope-with-table-pillar-stand.html

willbrooks
05-01-2019, 12:57 PM
If you are ready to drop that kind of money, you will be much better served taking to Ray first.

makecents
05-01-2019, 06:36 PM
I know you are trying to help Viv, you always are, but I would have to agree with Will on this though. I have bought several inferior setups to Rays and even though they were way cheaper,I have easily spent the equivalent of what I could have bought his system for. I could say it was what I had to spend at the time or a lot of other stuff but at the end of the day, newbies, save your money and wait until you can buy the best, enough said...

KLFenstermaker
05-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Bought an Amscope setup back in about October for the same price range you are looking at, Viv. At the beginning of last month the camera failed. To replace it (and it didn't really take good photos, as you all cam tell from some of my submissions) would be another $150+. Talked to Ray, can get a decent system for under $600, so planning on placing an order in the next week or so. Can't say I am happy with Amscope.

lincolnjoe
05-01-2019, 07:50 PM
:bigsmile:142220I have this am scope and I love it

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 09:13 PM
If you are ready to drop that kind of money, you will be much better served taking to Ray first.

Thank you Will. I sent Ray a PM earlier and he has gotten back with me so we are just looking at some details and numbers. I have a camera phobia... not sure if I can do it! But, I am willing to try to learn and I'm wanting to move to the next step up :)

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 09:22 PM
I know you are trying to help Viv, you always are, but I would have to agree with Will on this though. I have bought several inferior setups to Rays and even though they were way cheaper,I have easily spent the equivalent of what I could have bought his system for. I could say it was what I had to spend at the time or a lot of other stuff but at the end of the day, newbies, save your money and wait until you can buy the best, enough said...

Well Jon... you and Will are right. I got this email from AmScope with the sale and it sparked my interest since I have already been thinking about all of the headaches from trying to get decent pics!

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Bought an Amscope setup back in about October for the same price range you are looking at, Viv. At the beginning of last month the camera failed. To replace it (and it didn't really take good photos, as you all cam tell from some of my submissions) would be another $150+. Talked to Ray, can get a decent system for under $600, so planning on placing an order in the next week or so. Can't say I am happy with Amscope.

Sorry that happened Ken! I saw that AmScope has a 5 Year Manufacturer Warranty on their Microscopes and no warranty on the AmScope camera. Also, it looks like if you buy the AmScope microscope on Amazon you don't get the 5 year warranty on the microscope (even if it's brand new) and have to pay extra for the warranty.

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 09:37 PM
:bigsmile:142220I have this am scope and I love it

Thank you Joe! Cool pic of your Lincoln cent searching desk and microscope! I think that AmScope has a quality product (but I am beginning to wonder about the camera situation after what just happened with Ken's experience).

VAB2013
05-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Okay guys! Ready to place the order for Ray's system! Just sent him a PM to get it! Whooo hooooo!!!!!

Thank you all very much for your help!

GrumpyEd
05-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Interesting stuff.

I'm no expert but I think with most scopes you should be able mount a different camera.

Funny about the tungsten vs LED lighting.
Most bulbs are tungsten, they started with carbon then changed to tungsten in the early days.

The deal with LEDs is this, they are diodes. The main function of a diode is it turns full on at a certain voltage and full off below that voltage. Special diodes like germanium ones for crystal radios turn on low like .3V Normal diodes turn on around .7V, LEDs turn on a bit higher like over 1V.

The reason that matters is LEDs are sort of on or off, off below that voltage and full on above it with no in between.
They make LED lights that can dim but really they are using a bunch of them and a circuit that disconnects some of them like it has 20 LEDs, to dim it you turn off one, then more until all are off. So you are not really dimming them, you are turning some of them off.

Incandescent bulbs are different, the more voltage the brighter they get so they really can be dim or bright.

With that in mind, with LEDs you either need a fancy dimable circuit with many bulbs or you need to dim mechanically by blocking some light or the brute force method of cutting some off with your snipers :)

Get inputs from Ray!

willbrooks
05-02-2019, 04:13 AM
That's great, V. I will be ordering a couple of upgrades myself at some point soon.

VAB2013
05-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Interesting stuff.

I'm no expert but I think with most scopes you should be able mount a different camera.

Funny about the tungsten vs LED lighting.
Most bulbs are tungsten, they started with carbon then changed to tungsten in the early days.

The deal with LEDs is this, they are diodes. The main function of a diode is it turns full on at a certain voltage and full off below that voltage. Special diodes like germanium ones for crystal radios turn on low like .3V Normal diodes turn on around .7V, LEDs turn on a bit higher like over 1V.

The reason that matters is LEDs are sort of on or off, off below that voltage and full on above it with no in between.
They make LED lights that can dim but really they are using a bunch of them and a circuit that disconnects some of them like it has 20 LEDs, to dim it you turn off one, then more until all are off. So you are not really dimming them, you are turning some of them off.

Incandescent bulbs are different, the more voltage the brighter they get so they really can be dim or bright.

With that in mind, with LEDs you either need a fancy dimable circuit with many bulbs or you need to dim mechanically by blocking some light or the brute force method of cutting some off with your snipers :)

Get inputs from Ray!

Wow Ed, this is some great information about light bulbs! You know a lot about everything! Yeah... I'd like to use some snippers on a few LED lights! Unplugged of course :)

VAB2013
05-02-2019, 11:26 AM
That's great, V. I will be ordering a couple of upgrades myself at some point soon.

Thank you Will! I can't wait to get Ray's system and start putting it to work! That's cool you are looking at some upgrades for yours!

VAB2013
05-03-2019, 06:42 AM
The Ray System is shipping out today! Ray sent me a PM with instructions on how to get started - you know what a photography genius Ray is right? I either need a translator or a whole lot of Google! Okay... think positive... I can do this!

KLFenstermaker
05-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Ordered a system from him last night, also. Looks like we can stumble through the learning curve together!

VAB2013
05-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Ordered a system from him last night, also. Looks like we can stumble through the learning curve together!

Way to go Ken! We are keeping Ray busy putting together all of these Ray Photography Systems! That is great! You and I can learn together and before you know it we will be shooting some awesome looking Lincolns :)

Rollem
11-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Good Choice Viv. (Neighbor)

CODYJ
11-11-2019, 08:14 PM
check out these---https://omaxmicroscope.com/stereo-microscopes.html