PDA

View Full Version : 1957 D Cent...looks silver?

mikestorm
01-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey all. I found a 1957 Lincoln D cent in my change jar the other day. The interesting thing about it is it looks almost completely silver. Looking at the edge I do see a hint of copper but it's otherwise completely silver.

A half hour of googling turned up nothing, so I came here. Any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Brad
01-26-2008, 08:33 AM
My initial guess would be a silver plated cent. It is not difficult to electroplate cents with a plating kit.

Pat
01-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey all. I found a 1957 Lincoln D cent in my change jar the other day. The interesting thing about it is it looks almost completely silver. Looking at the edge I do see a hint of copper but it's otherwise completely silver.

A half hour of googling turned up nothing, so I came here. Any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Just like brad said.. Also I have seen acid remove all copper/brown and it will look like a steel cent as well..

Brad
01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Just like brad said.. Also I have seen acid remove all copper/brown and it will look like a steel cent as well..

That would only happen on Zinc plated cents. Post 1982. That was my first impulse until I noticed the date.

Pat
01-26-2008, 08:51 AM
That would only happen on Zinc plated cents. Post 1982. That was my first impulse until I noticed the date.

I would have to disagree..I have a 1944 cent that appears to look like steel in touch and look, but it's not magnetic and I can see some brown on the edge.. To me it appears to be a acid job..

mikestorm
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks all. The one possible answer that google turned up is it was stuck on a nickel or dime planchet (meaning the hint of copper on the edge I'm seeing rubbed off from another penny). Is there a quick an easy way to determine it was electorplated vs. struck on the wrong planchet?

Shingpumps
01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks all. The one possible answer that google turned up is it was stuck on a nickel or dime planchet (meaning the hint of copper on the edge I'm seeing rubbed off from another penny). Is there a quick an easy way to determine it was electorplated vs. struck on the wrong planchet?
Not without damageing it. You may want to polish the rim till the plating comes off.

Wheat Cents
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Most likely plated... Was looking through a memorial penny book a couple years back . It's 1960 D was plated shiny as could be. It turned out to be RPM 1 . I believe it is a cover Pic in one of my albums here on LCR.

Also 1974 found in a dealers coin box. It was done real nice.... ( No it was not _ )

Also a 1984 struck on zinc , pulled from circ while in NYC in 2002.

If intested in seeing these last two can dig out and post..

car10
01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Most likely plated... Was looking through a memorial penny book a couple years back . It's 1960 D was plated shiny as could be. It turned out to be RPM 1 . I believe it is a cover Pic in one of my albums here on LCR.

Also 1974 found in a dealers coin box. It was done real nice.... ( No it was not _ )

Also a 1984 struck on zinc , pulled from circ while in NYC in 2002.

If intested in seeing these last two can dig out and post..
Please do.

wavysteps
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
One of the most common methods, although a bit damgerous, was to dip it into mercury. That metal will adhere to most any surface and it is a lot faster than electroplating silver onto copper.

BJ Neff

Pat
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
although a bit damgerous, was to dip it into mercury.
BJ Neff

BJ you could chalk that up to the understatement of the year.

Pat
01-27-2008, 09:29 PM

I thought for sure this was an acid job.. But I don't think 53 came in the zinc flavor?

wavysteps
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I would favor a plating job on that coin. I have two Lincolns that have been plated in gold, a 1951-D and a 1945.

If it were a Mercury dipped coin, it would not show signs of copper beneath since that metal tends to flow and cover bare spots like that.

BJ Neff