PDA

View Full Version : 1909 DDR-012 EDS, Stage A

Petespockets55
06-11-2019, 08:15 AM
1909 DDR-012 (http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1909PDDR012.htm) EDS, Stage A
Second one of these I have found unattributed. The first was circulated in a roll and this MS one on Ebay a couple of weekends ago.

Being an earlier die state than the ones in VV images and not being able to put my hands on my other example, made this one a little difficult to confirm with die markers. But I'm confident this is DDR-012 EDS, Stage A. Some of the die chips around U (PLU), tip of the left wheat and die scratch around the base of the R to I (AMERICA) appear to be a match.

Notice the thickness to the stems and bottom of AMERICA as well as O (OF)

This variety does seem to have some die issues with the obverse rim gutter being clogged above IGWT, which keeps metal from flowing into the device.
Again, thanks for looking and adding anything you are seeing. Cliff

makecents
06-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Nice find Cliff and your original find looks great in the listing!! I don't know, it looks like your new find gets stronger as it goes to the east. The "U's" in UNUM look much thicker than the rest of EPU and on your listed coin it looks like the west side of EPU is stronger deminishing as it goes. Could just be me but I don't think so, it almost looks like there is seperation in the new coins "U's".

Petespockets55
06-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Thanks Jon. There is a die scratch going SSE off the base of the I (AMERICA) on my images listed as hi-def ERICA that matches the images at VV. I'll look on my PC later and see if I can tell anything about the U's.

joel
06-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Excellent find and great MS Lincoln!! Good job giving this Lincoln the recognition it deserves!!

Petespockets55
06-13-2019, 05:16 AM
Thanks again everyone. It seems odd this variety escaped detection for so long with how strong the class 6 thickness is.

Thanks for the questions Jon.
The separation is a product of lighting and the tendency by the phone to accentuate some color or shadow/lighting on lots of things. I don't see any in hand.
The difference on the U's of UNUM looking thicker towards one side is due to the phone being slightly askew instead of straight on when the images were taken. Nice pickup on that because I did notice that when I was confirming the variety. It definitely made me wonder.

jfines69
06-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Nice coin... How about the 2nd dot in EPU??? On yours it looks elongated and on VVs Stage B (http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1909PDDR012.htm) it is normal... The O in OF on yours looks to be much thicker than VVs... I wonder if these are due to your fones camera???

Sheila ruley
06-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Nice coin! Congrats on your Beautiful find!

Petespockets55
06-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Nice coin... How about the 2nd dot in EPU??? On yours it looks elongated and on VVs Stage B (http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1909PDDR012.htm) it is normal... The O in OF on yours looks to be much thicker than VVs... I wonder if these are due to your fones camera???
Thanks for looking and asking.
The second dot has very minimal thickness which is a little odd considering the overall strength of the Class 6 thickness.
The difference on the O (OF) is definitely the phone and focus issue.
Not sure if this image is any better.

EDIT:Added some better images OF AMER and ONE CENT

jfines69
06-17-2019, 03:27 AM
Awesome follow up pics Cliff Thanks... You are correct on the fones camera... That is weird how it did that to your pics... Did you notice the notch on the 2nd A of AMEARICAs SW corner and the I??? I can kind of see it on VVs Stage B (http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1909PDDR012.htm)sample but it is partially covered by a hit!!!

Petespockets55
06-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Thanks again Jim.
I noticed it but thought it must be something other than true doubling since it doesn't conform to "normal" class 6.

jfines69
06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Thanks again Jim.
I noticed it but thought it must be something other than true doubling since it doesn't conform to "normal" class 6.
That is what I thought also... Strange that it is on both coins... If you come across any more 12s with the same notching it could be reduction lathe related???

Petespockets55
06-20-2019, 07:18 AM
You may be correct in it being reduction lathe related because CC does mention that possibilty on a couple of other DDR varieties.

jfines69
06-22-2019, 03:41 AM
You may be correct in it being reduction lathe related because CC does mention that possibilty on a couple of other DDR varieties.
Thanks for the follow up... Maybe that's where I got the thought from???