PDA

View Full Version : 1996 P unknown DDO?

makecents
07-04-2019, 08:35 AM
I cannot seem to find a match and the closest listing I could find was cc's and VV's 002. Mine looks like the doubling is not quite as strong and going in the opposite direction. The strongest areas that I can see are the date and RUS.

cc (http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php)
VV (http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%202/DDO%201996.htm)
Wexler (http://doubleddie.com/446833.html)

Thanks for looking and any help.

Jon.

VAB2013
07-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Nice looking 96P Jon! I'm not sure but the US of TRUST does look questionable. Not really seeing what you are on the date but the devices on 96's are thin to begin with and maybe I need to finish this coffee! Let's see what the guys say!

makecents
07-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Nice looking 96P Jon! I'm not sure but the US of TRUST does look questionable. Not really seeing what you are on the date but the devices on 96's are thin to begin with and maybe I need to finish this coffee! Let's see what the guys say!You may be right on the date. Here is a pic with different software that does not white it out as much but is not as clear. It may just be circulation and lighting that I'm seeing.

VAB2013
07-04-2019, 09:18 AM
You may be right on the date. Here is a pic with different software that does not white it out as much but is not as clear. It may just be circulation and lighting that I'm seeing.

I think so too Jon. Sometimes I've seen 1996P's with so much circulation wear that it made me think it was CC's 001 :ooh:

jfines69
07-05-2019, 04:01 AM
I think it is PSD... Maybe a coin rolling machine... Some of the outer devices have that concave look to them, L of LIBERTY, GOD and 96 of date and it appears to be traveling in a circular pattern around the coin!!!

makecents
07-05-2019, 04:42 AM
I think it is PSD... Maybe a coin rolling machine... Some of the outer devices have that concave look to them, L of LIBERTY, GOD and 96 of date and it appears to be traveling in a circular pattern around the coin!!!That could be Jim. I didn't really see much going on, other than RUS and the date. I've never seen a coin rolling machine in action.

I went back and looked at all my pics again and if it is a doubled die, I would have to say it was class 5. That would explain the fact I'm only seeing it on one side. What I'm seeing is very slight though...

mustbebob
07-05-2019, 05:41 AM
I have been called 'The Dream Killer' before, and I'm afraid that will be the case on this one too. There just isn't enough there to make any positive call on this one. Sorry...

makecents
07-05-2019, 06:04 AM
I have been called 'The Dream Killer' before, and I'm afraid that will be the case on this one too. There just isn't enough there to make any positive call on this one. Sorry...Hahahaha! I don't know if others have called you that but I have referred to you as that before, it was a carryover from VamWorld. That's what we called John Roberts from ANACS when he would shoot down a coin as a variety.:) As I have said before, I would rather know the truth, I kinda felt like I was digging a little to much on this one anyway. Thanks Bob, I always appreciate your expertise and candor!

mustbebob
07-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Yeah....I know, and I also know it's all in good fun. There were other names I have been called too, and needless to say, I can't use that kind of language here. :sign10:

GrumpyEd
07-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Does not look like it.

Some coins have that dull area showing with that sort of pattern. Not sure if it's grease or die wear or polishing. Does anyone have an answer?

makecents
07-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Does not look like it.

Some coins have that dull area showing with that sort of pattern. Not sure if it's grease or die wear or polishing. Does anyone have an answer?Thanks Ed!! I have found that since I got the latest scope and software, I'm seeing this. I have never been very good with a loupe but feel I need to learn to be.

Jacob
07-05-2019, 09:39 PM
This is due to a weak strike or greasy die. I've found a few of these over the years and appeared to look like a doubled die but was not. These can play tricks on you that's for sure but sorry. I will say I hate when I personally find them because at times they appear to be the big one for 96.

GrumpyEd
07-06-2019, 12:46 AM
This is due to a weak strike or greasy die. I've found a few of these over the years and appeared to look like a doubled die but was not. These can play tricks on you that's for sure but sorry. I will say I hate when I personally find them because at times they appear to be the big one for 96.

I thought it was from grease.
Strange why the grease would do that without clogging the letters, agree that it probably is grease.

makecents
07-06-2019, 05:39 AM
This is due to a weak strike or greasy die. I've found a few of these over the years and appeared to look like a doubled die but was not. These can play tricks on you that's for sure but sorry. I will say I hate when I personally find them because at times they appear to be the big one for 96.Thanks Jacob!! I have seen the grease filled dies on the 96 before but it's usually more noticeable, I never even thought about that but explains a lot. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

You're going to have to do a little thinking and come up with a way to do some one handed "Ray setup" shots!:) I've been itching to see some of your finds.

makecents
07-06-2019, 05:40 AM
I thought it was from grease.
Strange why the grease would do that without clogging the letters, agree that it probably is grease.I would say that would explain what I was seeing on RUS, never thought about it.

jfines69
07-08-2019, 03:44 AM
That could be Jim. I didn't really see much going on, other than RUS and the date. I've never seen a coin rolling machine in action.

I went back and looked at all my pics again and if it is a doubled die, I would have to say it was class 5. That would explain the fact I'm only seeing it on one side. What I'm seeing is very slight though...
The machines that cause the damage actually roll the end of the coin tube paper to close it off... Just like the rolls we see from banks... If you look at the end coins more often than not you will see damage from the machine as it rolled the end closed!!!

makecents
07-08-2019, 03:55 AM
The machines that cause the damage actually roll the end of the coin tube paper to close it off... Just like the rolls we see from banks... If you look at the end coins more often than not you will see damage from the machine as it rolled the end closed!!!Ahhhh, that makecents. :) Where it is rolled tight at the ends lines right up with the lettering around the perimeter. Thanks Jim!!

jfines69
07-09-2019, 03:51 AM
Ahhhh, that makecents. :) Where it is rolled tight at the ends lines right up with the lettering around the perimeter. Thanks Jim!!

You are very welcome... Always good when I can makecents :)... I think it is due to a poor adjustment of the rolling machine!!!