PDA

View Full Version : 1938 p DDO-001 ANACS Pf63

Petespockets55
01-18-2020, 03:20 PM
We are having our local coin show his weekend and I wasn't needed at the welcome desk so I circled the floor and managed to see and odd color 1938 proof. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked the dealer to look at it and a 1939 since I hardly ever see any.

Low and behold I noticed some thickness on the tail of the 9. I checked the U (TRUST), E (WE) and LIBERTY and realized it wasn't the lighting but a class 6 DDO. I knew there were some varieties in the early proofs but since I left my phone at home by accident I couldn't verify any markers. Sheeesh!

With better lighting at home I confirmed it was 1938 p DDO-001 (Pr-1-O-IV) MDS StageB (ANACS Pf63) with the markers at VV (http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1938PDDO001.htm) . Nothing listed at DD or CC.

Pretty happy but I'm guessing a lot of 1938 proofs might have the DDO since I can't imagine there were many die pairs used in those early years of proof sets.
With a mintage of 14,734 I wonder how many die pairs there might have been?

Thanks for looking. Cliff

joel
01-19-2020, 05:26 AM
Cliff, Thanks for sharing your story, your knowledge and your very special find!! Impressive!!

makecents
01-19-2020, 05:48 AM
Excellent find with only an quick jaunt through the tables. Congrats, Cliff!!

Petespockets55
01-19-2020, 06:32 AM
Excellent find with only an quick jaunt through the tables. Congrats, Cliff!!

More like an inebriated wobble through the aisles!

Thanks everyone.

kloccwork419
01-19-2020, 07:15 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!. I love some early proofs

WaterSport
01-19-2020, 07:36 AM
Picking on the fly were you..Nice snag!

Ws

TPring
01-19-2020, 08:20 AM
We are having our local coin show his weekend and I wasn't needed at the welcome desk so I circled the floor and managed to see and odd color 1938 proof. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked the dealer to look at it and a 1939 since I hardly ever see any.

Good eye and very nice catch.

I find it difficult to see much in these slabbed cases since they are usually in a glass display case [at coin shows] -- Are you [and others] noticing variety traits by having it in-hand or while it is still in the glass case?

I am thinking it is very time-consuming (for me) and some-what annoying (to a dealer) to inspect too many coins at the show. For this reason, I tend to stick with the flipped coins in boxes [which are lower-grade].

The reason I am asking is that I am planning on revisiting the local show again today and I plan on looking at something more that 'flipped' coins. Thanks.

makecents
01-19-2020, 08:48 AM
More like an inebriated wobble through the aisles!

Thanks everyone.Well, that makes it an even more impressive pick!!:)

Petespockets55
01-19-2020, 06:07 PM

I find it difficult to see much in these slabbed cases since they are usually in a glass display case [at coin shows] -- Are you [and others] noticing variety traits by having it in-hand or while it is still in the glass case?

I am thinking it is very time-consuming (for me) and some-what annoying (to a dealer) to inspect too many coins at the show. For this reason, I tend to stick with the flipped coins in boxes [which are lower-grade].

The reason I am asking is that I am planning on revisiting the local show again today and I plan on looking at something more that 'flipped' coins. Thanks.

You hit the nail on the head. Very poor lighting and only if the dealer has a table light is there any chance.

In this case, it was the yellowish brass look to both proofs that caught my eye. Not red at all. And I was just curious to see why it was looking like that. Once I had it in hand is when I was able to see the class 6 thickness.

My experience at FUN last week and this show is most dealers are really accepting of customers sitting and looking. They know we are a picky lot. I did feel a little odd sitting, looking and not buying something at some tables but realized some of the coins aren't worth buying for one reason or another. I did study this coin to be able to negotiate because most dealers will if it is done with respect.

Petespockets55
01-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Well, that makes it an even more impressive pick!!:)

:occasion16:In this case it was inebriation from the incredible coins everywhere you looked. Modern, ancient, silver, gold, copper, shipwreck artifacts, maps, currency and on and on. :occasion16:
ps. I got another submission off to ANACS and Dr. Wiles last week which I'll share when they come back in 6-8 weeks.

Petespockets55
01-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Picking on the fly were you..Nice snag!

Ws
Sure was. And it was quite a feeling to unexpectidly come across it.
LOL. Never did determine what was up with the color. Maybe just the florescent overhead fixtures.

jfines69
01-21-2020, 02:34 AM
Excellent pick... That's one of the old slabs isn't it???

GrumpyEd
01-21-2020, 03:54 AM
Excellent pick... That's one of the old slabs isn't it???

It's a fairly new slab. The order is the small white ANA/ANACs slabs then the slightly bigger small white ones then the blue labels then the yellow/gold like this. (and several slight variations in between) The 2 first small ones are known to be conservatively graded and might even upgrade today at the bigger TPGs.. The others are not as conservative but maybe on par with the big ones but a bit more of a wildcard. This one looks graded about right for today at any TPG.

GrumpyEd
01-21-2020, 04:00 AM

I sometimes buy stuff I want but don't need like nice unc wheats at a good price so dealers don't think I waste their time looking. I get out of the way if they have another customer and come back when they are not too busy. The worst thing to do is bring a book like the CPG, some freak out they think you are "cherrypicking them". Don't talk about varieties or look exited. Don't trust their lighting, not sure how but some have lights that make everything look better color than reality. Don't go nuts studying any coin, if you are about 70% sure just buy it if you can.

GrumpyEd
01-21-2020, 04:04 AM
I do need to look in hand, you can't tell through a glass case.

Petespockets55
01-21-2020, 05:36 AM
I sometimes buy stuff I want but don't need like nice unc wheats at a good price so dealers don't think I waste their time looking. I get out of the way if they have another customer and come back when they are not too busy. The worst thing to do is bring a book like the CPG, some freak out they think you are "cherrypicking them". Don't talk about varieties or look exited. Don't trust their lighting, not sure how but some have lights that make everything look better color than reality. Don't go nuts studying any coin, if you are about 70% sure just buy it if you can.
I have done very little picking at shows but this MO is what I followed this past weekend.

And what you mention about the lighting seemed true as well. Plus, the lighting made it look like notching or separation on most bright red coins.

Petespockets55
03-24-2020, 02:47 PM
I received the submission back from ANACS and it was attributed in a new slab with the same grade.
Thanks again to all for the comments.

makecents
03-24-2020, 07:46 PM
I received the submission back from ANACS and it was attributed in a new slab with the same grade.
Thanks again to all for the comments.Nice!! Good looking coin in that pretty new slab, labeled in with the 001!!:)

GrumpyEd
03-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Always thought a fun mini set to do is 36-42 proof cents or dimes.

Neat because it was such a short run of proofs, only 7 coins (8 for cents if you do both finishes).

In a way they aren't cheap but not really expensive compared to a lot of other sets, since there's so few coins you can get them in whatever holder you want without going broke. I don't collect dimes but those proof mercs are pretty coins.

I think someone could do cents reasonably in nice red 63ish coins, only the 36s cost a bit but still not crazy money.

jfines69
03-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Very nice with the DDO inclusion!!!

joel
03-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Excellent conclusion to your story Cliff!! Congrats!!

Petespockets55
03-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jon, Ed, Jim and Larry. Glad you enjoyed it.