PDA

View Full Version : Coin Flip Concern

TPring
03-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Do we still need to worry about flips made with PVC?

I recently purchased some [regular] cardboard coin flips at a coin show and to me they seem a bit under par. They are the type that have tiny pieces of cardboard fiber that obstructs the view (unless they are cleaned out ahead of time) and now I am concerned that they may be detrimental.

The last lot I purchased were very thin 'cardboard' with no little particles -- I like that type.

Thank you.

mustbebob
03-14-2020, 11:26 AM
Most (if not all) of the cardboard flips are made with Mylar. Do you know for sure the ones you got are PVC? If they are PVC...you should NOT use them. As far as the little particles of cardboard dust, I would try to find the ones that work for you. I have done away with those for my personal collection but will use them for temporary storage.

TPring
03-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the response.

No, not sure of any PVC in them -- Because they seem to be of cheaper construction, it made me think about that.

GrumpyEd
03-14-2020, 04:11 PM
For the most part, the pvc ones are like a pocket, thicker softer material that smells like a pool raft with no cardboard.
I don't think any of the ones with cardboard had pvc.

TPring
03-15-2020, 07:21 AM
For the most part, the pvc ones are like a pocket, thicker softer material that smells like a pool raft with no cardboard.

Ahhhh, I believe I know the smell (and feel) that you are referring to -- LOL.:O

jfines69
03-18-2020, 02:49 AM
If you use compressed air it will remove the excess paper fibers... Those fibers are left overs from the manufacturing process... Did the package of flips state PVC free or that is was mylar??? If it didn't say PVC free I wouldn't use them just to be on the safe side!!!

hbarbee
03-18-2020, 07:34 AM
I believe that it is important to do the manufacturer research and buy a quality product to house your collection. On the other hand you don't want to spend more on the holder than the coins are worth! I place my raw cents in the Lighthouse cardboard 2x2 self-adhesive holders and then place the holders in the BCW 20 pocket pages. For the slabbed coins I use the Lighthouse ENCAP pages. All of these products are certified as archival and PVC free. The pages can be housed in any 3 ring binder. The attached file gives you the description and links to the Amazon pages.