PDA

View Full Version : 1952 D RPM003

jafo50
03-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Is it possible to have only the MM for a particular RPM without any of the other diagnostics indicated in Coppercoins or others?

https://coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1952&die_mint=d&die_type=mm&page=0

The MM seems to match for RPM-003 buy I can't see any of the other markers. This could be due to 'gunk" or other debris hiding things but I'd like your opinions.

Joe

kloccwork419
03-26-2020, 08:41 AM
Yes its possible. Could be a new stage. I'm taking pics of a 50S RPM that has 6 die stages and the first 3(A B C) each have a different reverse die. After stage C , none of the original markers are visible and they show different markers

jfines69
03-26-2020, 12:59 PM
The big thing to remember is that markers can and do change over the dies life... You may or may not have the listed/mentioned markers... You can explore the available images for the unlisted markers... Also with RPMs the appearance of the MMs and its' location will be the best available marker... Hope that helps... By the looks of the MM and location I think you nailed the attribution!!!

makecents
03-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Very nice find and pics, congrats!! It took me awhile to understand that die and lack of die srcatches are not a way to figure the age of a coin but they finally beat it into my head.:) In my mind, die scratches, meant and older die or further along die stage but they can actually be polished off in a later stage of a die. I'm a little slow but eventually get it...