PDA

View Full Version : Camera suggestions

jmangham
08-20-2020, 01:29 PM
I want to upgrade from my $40 USB scope to to a decent macro setup for coins. The scope does ok up close but you can't get really clear full coin shots. I'm looking at picking up a used Canon 30D and a macro lense. I need some advice. Is this a decent lense?

kloccwork419
08-20-2020, 02:12 PM
PM Ray or email him www.macrocoins.com
Hes my go to when it comes to photography setups, lenses, or even just advice. He can help you decide and most likely has it for sale. Talk to him and I'm sure he'll come up with something

willbrooks
08-20-2020, 02:29 PM
I also recommend you talk to Ray about it.

ray_parkhurst
08-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Hi @jmangham,

The 30D is not a good choice for coins. Reason is that it is pre-Live View, so also does not have the EFSC electronic shutter capability. So you can't tether it to a computer nor get good vibration-free images from it.

First model with Live View is the 40D, but I'm not sure if it's fully activated for EFSC. I'd recommend the Rebel XS/1000D, which should actually be cheaper than either the 30D or 40D, and is quite easy to find on eBay or other. You'll want to download and install the EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional software so you can view the coin on-screen, adjust camera parameters, snap the shot with your mouse, and have the image automatically download into the DPP editing software. The XS/1000D makes an excellent coin camera.

The lens you show should work well but you'll need to adapt it to the camera. It is the older FD mount, where the camera is EOS mount. There are readily-available adapters. Note that you won't be able to zoom in to shoot variety details with that lens, as it only goes to 1:1.

You'll need a stand or tripod or some other way to hold the camera.

jmangham
08-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Thank you sir! What type of lense would I need for the variety details?

Petespockets55
08-23-2020, 07:50 AM
No better advice than what comes from Ray.

ray_parkhurst
08-24-2020, 07:09 AM
Thank you sir! What type of lense would I need for the variety details?

I created a web page showing comparison of some different variety imaging lenses and techniques you can see here:

http://www.macrocoins.com/variety-image-compo.html

There are other lens / objective choices for the various techniques I show.