PDA

View Full Version : Bogen WA 60mm lens

ray_parkhurst
09-01-2020, 12:30 PM
I ended up getting this lens in trade. I like WA (Wide Angle) enlarging lenses as they give a unique "look" to the image. This particular lens is really nice, and at f5.6 gives both the "WA look" as well as good detail presentation.

Here's a "Sausage BIE" shot with the Bogen lens, with a detail of the BIE showing pretty decent detail from the full image:

styxman
09-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Ray, Outstanding, as usual! Image appears to bow up in the middle - just my prospective. Would you kindly describe the lighting you are using or point me to a description. There is a wonderful uniformity and diffusion to the light and shadows. It does look coaxial. By the way, late last year you were considering getting a new camera - I think a Nikon 810 was in your short list. Did you make a new purchase? It has taken over 9 months to get a new computer system up and running with all components working. Old one broke when I connected to this forum Ended up with the third replacement system from Dell T7920. Dell had multiple of very nice repair people over who all gave up trying to help set up my system - all left with less hair and splitting headache. I was able to locate some old drivers (Windows 7 I think) which I found on an old floppy disk (had to purchase a USB Floppy Disk Drive!) and wrote a PowerShell script to override security and permissions to load the drivers on the system drive. I must have destroyed the Windows 10 OS at least 15 times banging the bugs out of the script, but I now have access to my external hardware - at least it is still working but expecting the shoe to fall at any time. I ain't holding my breath. Hope you are well and having fun. Over and out, styxman

ray_parkhurst
09-10-2020, 04:40 PM
styxman...thanks for the positive comments. Indeed the lighting is the best part of this image, and is a result of my regular lighting method interacting with the particular working distance of the lens. I posted this image over on the photomacrography forum, and a member there also asked about my lighting. Rather than quoting here I'll just link to that thread. The description of the lighting is at bottom of the first page:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42352

It looks like I may be trying the Sony A7Rm4 again. I learned that Helicon Focus will take the Sony output files directly and stack them, so that may be a great option for my stack and stitch work. The software provided by Sony significantly oversharpens. Problem is, I need to use the Sony software for the stacking automation, and my computer is not up to date enough to work well with it. So as well as a new camera, I may need to get a new computer, and I'm not too happy about it.