PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 53-S RPM with 2 stages

ray_parkhurst
08-20-2021, 10:28 AM
This one is interesting in that I have two stages to present. The RPM shows on both serifs and on the upper curve. The later stage shows clear evidence of the die having been lightly abraded, as the relief of the Date and MM are lower. This has the effect of making these features appear slimmer since they are wider at their bases, and after abrasion the bases are removed.

I tried to enhance the comparison by animating the two stages:

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155490&stc=1

Petespockets55
08-21-2021, 07:06 AM
Wow.
Quite a bit of difference between those two stages. That 9 is almost completely filled in in the last one.

Have you been able to attribute it to a known variety yet?

ray_parkhurst
08-21-2021, 07:38 AM
Not yet. It's relatively minor and has not been picked up by anyone far as I can tell so I doubt this is listable as an RPM. The most interesting thing is that I found the two stages, and one with such a big chip out of the 9, and that it also shows the effect of die abrasion on the appearance of the features. Lots of interesting things going on.

eaxtellcoin
09-10-2021, 04:00 PM
Evening Ray,
Look at RPM#24. The position is correct. My stage "C" has some of the characteristics your earlier die state has. The later die state just has not been submitted as of yet. Take a look at your earlier die state coin and see if any of the marker's match the submitted stage "C"
Eric

ray_parkhurst
09-10-2021, 04:23 PM
Eric...indeed this one is similar to #24, but not the same die. My coin with the large die break in the 9 would be a later stage than #24C, but mine does not have any of the die cracks or breaks of #24C. I haven't done an overlay with #24 but I think the MM on mine is a bit closer to the date and tilted a bit more CW as well.

eaxtellcoin
09-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Ray, I looked through my 12 Wexler/CC listings I have. I will say that I have 3 other examples of Wexler listings that are ohh so close in position but just not quite the right position.
The coin is NOT : Wexler 021, 022, 030, 033, 037, 038, 041, 042, 047, 048, 049 or 1MM-009.
Sorry Sir I tried. Maybe new to the listings!
Eric

ray_parkhurst
09-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Thanks for looking Eric! You looked at more of the Wexler coins than I was able to, so I'm fairly confident this one is new. I like having two stages as it gives more info to the attributers. Odd this one has not been noticed, especially the LDS one with the big break in the 9.