PDA

View Full Version : 2009 cent possible new variety doubled obverse die?

jazzcoins
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
A possible new variety doubled obverse die indications of doubling on the G of God and S of trust with one squeeze notching effect and tripling on the nose and doubling on the eye with clean clear raised like images.

Tell me what you think about this cent a possible new 2009 variety . There has already been many discoveries on this cent with different varieties why not another

Now here's some pics of the reverse doubled die possible This could be a obverse and reverse doubled die. there's doubling on the states the s's are doubled with notching ,the O is odd ,the F has notchig looks like the one squeeze effect doubling on those letters as well.
Tell me what your opinion on this coin is

Thanks Jazzcoins Joe

jcuve
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I think we need larger pics...

I would normally disregard the idea of doubling on the nose and eye as it hasn't (to my recollection) occurred since the obverse design change of '69. For that matter face doubling of the nose pre '69 is really rare. That doesn't mean it isn't impossible, but unlikely – it usually is MDD. I cannot tell from the pics.

The others seem possible if it is indeed notching, (though the notches seem to be in an odd place) but the pics seem a little too small (for me) to tell. Is there, what Billy refers to as tootsie roll distortion, on any of the letters that appear notched?

I would like for it these to be DDs as outer device doubling is very rare on single squeeze made dies.

Hopefully Billy or Bob chime in on these.

jazzcoins
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I do agree with you that it's rare, but anything is possible.

There has been many different doubled dies already on the 2009 cent. I have seen doubling on statehood quarters on the letters like this cent which are listed as doubled dies.

I will wait on others for there opinions and see. I will try and post larger pics but not tonight.

Thanks for your opinion:LOL_Hair:
jazzcoins Joe

jcuve
06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
No problem. Just basing my opinion on what I know, but like most LCR’ers I am still learning a great deal. The only way to know if your submissions are DDs is with either bigger pics or an expert’s in-hand analysis.

Trying to figure what is and isn't a doubled die is craziness. And these new class 9s are especially difficult. I agree there's an unusual amount being found. I have never found so many DDs after looking at so few coins. I hope yours are indeed DDs!

It seems to me that most new DDs are occurring in the middle of the areas of the dies as opposed to the outer edges. I have read the hypotheses and tried to envision a convex die face being pressed into a hub with enormous pressure. Then my head explodes…

dvn
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
No problem. Just basing my opinion on what I know, but like most LCR’ers I am still learning a great deal. The only way to know if your submissions are DDs is with either bigger pics or an expert’s in-hand analysis.

Trying to figure what is and isn't a doubled die is craziness. And these new class 9s are especially difficult. I agree there's an unusual amount being found. I have never found so many DDs after looking at so few coins. I hope yours are indeed DDs!

It seems to me that most new DDs are occurring in the middle of the areas of the dies as opposed to the outer edges. I have read the hypotheses and tried to envision a convex die face being pressed into a hub with enormous pressure. Then my head explodes…

All these FY doubled dies are not unusual. Going by what we have seen in the past, especially all those MN DDRs and OIV DDRs, this is what I expected.

I'm getting reports left and right from collectors finding even more varieties out of $25 boxes and rolls from their banks. A lot of the FY coinage is still sitting in the Fed. Reserve. We haven't even started to scratch the surface. I'm hoping there is a big one out there, something like the big 2006 1c DDO or like that District of Columbia D-Mint states quarter with big DDR showing on ELL of ELLINGTON. As always, time will certainly tell, but I get the feeling, especially the way things are going already, it's only around the corner.

Hey, have fun and enjoy the ride!!!! After all, the Mint doesn't make doubled dies, remember????

Jazz, it would require examination. Let me know.

Billy (dvn)

trails
06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
At first glance I must agree with you that this is machine doubling. However, I would think that an in hand analysis is warranted for there may be possible split serifs on some of the letters. Unfortunately, the pictures have to much glare to make even a close guess if it is a doubled die.

I am sure that one of the leading attributers who specialize in double dies will request a look at this coin.

BJ Neff

dvn
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
I am sure that one of the leading attributers who specialize in double dies will request a look at this coin.

BJ Neff

" ... specialize in double dies" Just playing with you BJ.

Billy (dvn)

jazzcoins
06-19-2009, 06:10 AM
I have alot of experiance myself with knowing what is a douibled die

I have been doing it for forty years and have my own coin bussiness called just coins The coin is not mine i just wanted to get other opinions from some excellent knowledgeable people on this site, and share it with others. I will be getting the coin in hand soon I'm just waiting on the person to send it to me hopefully.

The person says he has quite a few they were from a mint roll.

I also will send it out to a leading expert to verify it after I'm finished with it to make a positive conclusion on this coin.

I want to thank each and every one of you that looked at this coin :LOL_Hair:I will tell you the outcome of the coin when I examine it in hand

Thank you all so very much and I'm working on new pics as soon as I have the time to do this.

Thanks Jazzcoins Joe