PDA

View Full Version : My name is TPring and I have a sickness...

TPring
03-04-2023, 07:22 PM
I find myself collecting multiples of varieties and this is one of them -- I think I have three of this variety.

VV (http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1955PDDR003.htm)

The proof DDs seem minor compared to some of the other varieties, but for some reason I am drawn to them: The 50's LWCs have several. These are mostly class 2 and you can see the dividing lines between the two characters as opposed to many DDRs which are class 6 and the characters just appear a bit fatter [and kinda smeared].

This is one of the varieties that NGC will attribute [not sure about PCGS and ANACS] so that may be another reason that I like to pick these -- Even though I haven't sent any of them in to be attributed, heh. It is also one of the DDR varieties where I actually see good separation on the wheat tip.

Had to break down the pics into small chunks in order to see the doubling and reduce the lighting glare. I tried to put the pics in order, but I guess the software decides the order. The full obverse and reverse pics are from the seller.

Thanks for looking.

CoinHI
03-04-2023, 07:44 PM
Very nice DDR that I was unfamiliar with. Nice separation you don't see with the more common wheat DDR's like you said.

Rollem
03-04-2023, 08:26 PM
My name is TPring and I have a sickness...Beautiful coin, Anytime you want to feel better, I'll pm my address, send it to me as a medician. :LOL_Hair:

JFM

jfines69
03-05-2023, 04:14 AM
Admission is the first step to redemption... Nice pick... Do you use direct lighting or reflective for your pics??? On shiney coins reflecting lite from a darker back ground will reduce glare... It is something you would need to work with to find what works best for your set up!!!

Petespockets55
03-05-2023, 06:05 AM
Thanks and I feel your "pain".
I've always wondered why most DDR's are class 6 and there isn't much representation of other classes. All I can think is that maybe something about the process for reverse dies was different. It seems that if the process was exactly the same for obverse and reverse dies the percentages of the different classes for both should be similar.

Anyone have any thoughts on this "phenomenon"?

WaterSport
03-05-2023, 06:19 AM
Ah...I thought this site was where all of us sick puppies gathered...Just saying.

Bob

Petespockets55
03-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Ah...I thought this site was where all of us sick puppies gathered...Just saying.

Bob
Woof! Woof!

willbrooks
03-05-2023, 11:35 AM
Thanks and I feel your "pain".
I've always wondered why most DDR's are class 6 and there isn't much representation of other classes. All I can think is that maybe something about the process for reverse dies was different. It seems that if the process was exactly the same for obverse and reverse dies the percentages of the different classes for both should be similar.

Anyone have any thoughts on this "phenomenon"?

I believe I have answered this already. It's because most Class 6 listings aren't actually doubled dies. They're just working dies hubbed by a worn, distended hub, either because it was overused or the devices were flattened trying to hub an insufficiently annealed die.
But, so far nobody wants to hear that noise. :sign10:

Maybe I should actually start a discussion thread on that topic.

makecents
03-05-2023, 05:00 PM
I believe I have answered this already. It's because most Class 6 listings aren't actually doubled dies. You have and I left it alone, because it's your dig and knew you would eventually reply. As time goes on and I continue to learn, as much as I hate to say it, I agree. Oh, the distaste.... :LOL_Hair:

Petespockets55
03-06-2023, 06:06 AM
I believe I have answered this already. It's because most Class 6 listings aren't actually doubled dies. They're just working dies hubbed by a worn, distended hub, either because it was overused or the devices were flattened trying to hub an insufficiently annealed die.
But, so far nobody wants to hear that noise. :sign10:

Maybe I should actually start a discussion thread on that topic.

Hmmmm ... Definite food for thought.

Ok then, leaving the class 6 out of the equation, why would there but such a shortage of other classes for the reverse dies?