PDA

View Full Version : 2023 P DDR (Strongest on JFM)

Petespockets55
05-27-2023, 07:21 PM
2023 P DDR (Strongest on JFM)

I picked up some rolls while going through Gainesville last weekend. In the first couple of rolls I came across my first 2023 Lincoln cents for the year. Woo hoo.

This was in about the third roll. The JFM initials caught my eye because it appears the strongest. (Lite thickness on LB.)There also appears to be some lite thickness towards the center on the base of the letters of USA.

Let me know your thoughts. (If the images are good enough and such.)
Thanks for peeping.

makecents
05-27-2023, 08:07 PM
Cannot tell if is abrasions or die deterioration from the pics, but there is something else going on here and not sure if it's a doubled die. You know as much as I do though, probably more....

Just what I see.

Just reiterating. :)

Petespockets55
05-28-2023, 04:44 AM
Cannot tell if is abrasions or die deterioration from the pics, but there is something else going on here and not sure if it's a doubled die. You know as much as I do though, probably more....

Just what I see.

Just reiterating. :)

Jon, I always appreciate when you add your insight and comments. It helps keep me to consider other possibilities.

I did consider die deterioration as well but this coin is a MDS coin at the latest and the thickness at AMERICA is towards the center not towards the rim. (And of course there are some that don't consider this type of doubling to be a true doubled die.:tinysmile_twink_t2:)

I don't think the odd distortion on other areas of JFM is from die abrasion as I'm not seeing any signs of polishing elsewhere. That distortion isn't towards the rim (just like a certain 2017 "TRUST" I'm partial to).

I guess the only way to know for certain is if I submit eventually.

jfines69
05-28-2023, 12:35 PM
LB looks a little thick... The JFM is a little blurry to tell for sure but the JF is strange looking... They look thick on the lower half and thinner on the upper half??? The M looks somewhat thicker on the right side vs the left but that may all be the lighting and blurry pic??? Can not really tell on USA???

Petespockets55
05-29-2023, 05:10 AM
LB looks a little thick... The JFM is a little blurry to tell for sure but the JF is strange looking... They look thick on the lower half and thinner on the upper half??? The M looks somewhat thicker on the right side vs the left but that may all be the lighting and blurry pic??? Can not really tell on USA???
Thanks for the added input Jim.
For some reason lots of the areas where I normally look to confirm whether a coin might be a DDR seem to have a little of the "blurries" going on in hand (not just in the images). I've seen this quite a bit on modern single squeeze varieties.
Maybe this STATES image will be better for seeing the thickness at the base of the letters.
The base of the "A" seems to show extra "height"/thickness and the top serif of the first S might even be showing a split.
https://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=161850&stc=1

Also, the centers of the "B" (LB) on this coin seem to be circular instead of oval like non-varieties.

jfines69
05-29-2023, 01:22 PM
Much better pic... I see what looks like a split on the upper part of the first S the right side of the Es upper bar and the 2nd S... They also look a little thick... I saw the B of LB also... Thanks for the follow up pic!!!

Petespockets55
05-30-2023, 05:58 PM
You're welcome.

The "STATES" image was almost an afterthought but it turned out showing the thickness the best. Which in turn got me thinking the JFM wasn't Die deterioration.