PDA

View Full Version : 1970 S -- RPM 001

Rowdyricster
07-16-2023, 07:17 AM
Copper Coins (https://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1970&die_id=1970s1mm001&die_state=mds) Wexler (http://doubleddie.com/310201.html) Variety Vista (http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1970SRPM001.htm)

I’m not finding all the markers, but I did find the small die chip on Column #9 and die scratches on the right side of the Memorial and Mintmark position looks right. I'm a little puzzled, though. Is that doubling to the left of Column #8? If so, I'm not seeing that listed anywhere. Thanks for looking.

EDIT: So I compared this to other 1970's and I'm guessing it's not doubling but an exaggerated back column. I just have never seen one so pronounced, I guess.

mustbebob
07-16-2023, 10:28 AM
In a case like this, the RPM is so unique that markers are unnecessary. Markers can appear at any time during the striking of the coin, so it is not uncommon not to find one, or find an additional one not listed somewhere. Usually, attributors would just pick one or two markers when listing a variety. There is no need to list every single marker if the identification of the variety can be verified by a minimum number of markers.
This particular variety is found in mint sets. Even so, I have found the majority of the ones I own in rolls, not sets. This is a very nice variety.

Rowdyricster
07-16-2023, 11:01 AM
In a case like this, the RPM is so unique that markers are unnecessary. Markers can appear at any time during the striking of the coin, so it is not uncommon not to find one, or find an additional one not listed somewhere. Usually, attributors would just pick one or two markers when listing a variety. There is no need to list every single marker if the identification of the variety can be verified by a minimum number of markers.
This particular variety is found in mint sets. Even so, I have found the majority of the ones I own in rolls, not sets. This is a very nice variety.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look and for the information on markers. This one was found in a roll, too. I think I have a couple '69 sets, so I'll have to dig them out and give them a look.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

willbrooks
07-16-2023, 02:08 PM
Right on! That's a great RPM! Sadly for me, this one has eluded me so far, but I have a space in the box reserved for it! Congrats on the find!

Rowdyricster
07-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Right on! That's a great RPM! Sadly for me, this one has eluded me so far, but I have a space in the box reserved for it! Congrats on the find!

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, Will. I know we haven't interacted in a long time (all on me for not checking in on here), but I feel I have grown a great deal in my knowledge of this hobby and that is due in very large part to YOU, sir. You invested in me, and I appreciate it. As a small token of my appreciation, I would like for you to find one of these (okay, this one) in your mail box! I know I have your address somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it right now. If you'd be so kind as to PM me, I'll get this out to you ASAP!

makecents
07-16-2023, 05:53 PM
That is a nice find, Rowdy, congrats!

Rowdyricster
07-16-2023, 06:33 PM
That is a nice find, Rowdy, congrats!

Thanks, Jon.

jfines69
07-20-2023, 04:00 AM
Excellent find!!!

Rowdyricster
07-20-2023, 08:20 AM