PDA

View Full Version : IF

abe
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
If the 1946 inverted "S" is considered to be extremely rare, and IF each die averages several hundred thousand planchets, and IF you had one and the market was fairly good, would you sell for a profit now, IF you new the market could possibly be flooded one day decreasing the value...
Just something in the back of my mind......

jcuve
08-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I personally think there is a point with any collectible, when it emerges, where there is enough interest and a low enough quantity available that you'll probably get the best price if you're selling. I think the 2006 DDO-003 is a good example, still rare, but prices have steadily went down from the highs of late spring/early summer of '08.

I would add that no one could possibly predict the eventual rarity or price range for a coin, say 10 years from now. Anything is possible in the long run...

1sgret
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I agree with Jason.

The Economy (I know everyone blames this) has alot to do with it as there is not an abundance of extra spending money to purchase coins or collectibles.

hasfam
08-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Assuming you had only one of an item.... then if you are an investor, a buyer and a seller, and interest is high and demand follows, sell by all means.
But if you are a collector, then I would keep the only one I had regardless of worth or potential profit. There is the possibility you will want that item again as a collector and will windup paying a higher price for it later on.
Personally, I don't think the 1946-S inverted Mm will ever "flood the market" and the collector base that would be interested in that particular coin will probably stay minimal. There are just too many other higher profiled varieties that collectors know about and covet, enough to challenge anyone's budget. However, as long as the supply is lower than the base of interest it will always command a premium.
Just my thoughts on the the subject.
Rock