PDA

View Full Version : Roll searching....

jhracing08
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
So i'm having some problems roll searching. I go through a box a week maybe more and I have done this over the last six week and still haven't found anything. I search for ddo,ddr, WAMS and RVD or anything noticeable on a coin. Still haven't found anything. Any tips? Should I get the coins from a different bank?

Shingpumps
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
You havnt found anything? I've found alot of major variaties in the last few years, but do get into ruts. Like right now, I've searched over $250 in the last 3 weeks and only have two 2000 WAMs and a 2006 doubled ear. So a few boxes in a row with no results isn't abnormal. Just gotta keep looking.

1sgret
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree. I might get one or two varieties out of $100.00 and other times I will get alot more. Just take your time and look at whole coin. It can be aggravating at times and I do change out bank boxes from 3 states now. (NC, GA & TN).

jhracing08
08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Well i'll try a new bank tomorrow and see if it helps

kloccwork419
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
At the very least I get an RPM out of every box. At the least. Its always more then that but its just an example. Maybe your doing too many coinsa t once and straining your eyes or have bad lighting. Im sure you must of just missed some things. Maybe not tho, I always find some kind of variety

jcuve
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't see how a different bank would make any difference unless, by some fluke you were searching previously searched coins. Just keep at it, take your time and stuff pops up. Are you using a scope or a loupe?

jhracing08
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't see how a different bank would make any difference unless, by some fluke you were searching previously searched coins. Just keep at it, take your time and stuff pops up. Are you using a scope or a loupe?

I use both I use a loupe and if I think I have found something I go to the scope.

1sgret
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Try adjusting your light source when you are using your loupe.

I use a floor lamp that is adjustable which has a special spiral light bulb (GU24 40 watt 6500k) which illuminates to daylight lighting. The lamp is a Wilshire Blvd Arm Lamp.

hasfam
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
1st, I would recommend slowing down in your examaination process. When we go thru dry spells, which we all do, we tend to get over anxious about not finding something and will inadvertently speed up our search.
2nd, I use my dry spells as a learning time which to me is as valuable as eventually finding a good variety. How many times have we thought...if I had only known...or...I wish I could go back and search those again.
3rd, try circulating around town, county, state if possible and buy 1 or 2 rolls from different places. Banks, stores, whatever. I do this sometimes instead of buying bricks when I'm in a slump. The variety of bank wrapped, handwrapped, different regions etc is always fun to explore and usually bears fruit.
For me, It's in the hunt that I am most content. Enjoy it, rain or shine.

Rock

JeanK
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi JH,
I was wondering what your approach is when you open the first roll from the box?
My experience has taught me to open all of the coins, separate them by decade, then year and lastly mint mark. When you determine which year you want to search first then keep doing all of those until you are satisfied there are no varieties. Another idea is to be familiar with what variety might be on a particular year and mint before you begin.
Remember how many different errors and varieties are possible: rpm, ddo, ddr, trails, wavy steps, reverse die varieties, wide am, close am, varieties of the same year and mint mark, clips, cuds, die breaks, planche, lamination errors, varieties of the same mint mark, and capped dies, misaligned dies, and many more. It is easy to miss one when there are so many possibilities. Just a couple of ideas that might help.
Keep looking and good luck.
Jean

coppercoins
08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
It is completely useless going to different banks looking for coins that have varieties. You either hit them or you don't, but don't waste time and energy trying to 'hit' a bank that hasn't been 'hit' before.

ALWAYS take your searched coins to a different place from the one you are searching from and keep the routine.

It's a lot like hitting the lottery. If you play the same numbers every time, you're more likely to hit the winning ticket than changing the numbers every time chasing your tail.

Anyone who thinks that different banks in the same area have 'different' coins that bring any significant difference to what they find is imagining things.

I have been looking for a 1983 DDR for 25 years and still have never found one. I sent a box from my local bank to a collector in Florida in trade for a box from there (because there is significant difference in mintmark distribution by state) and he found one in the box I sent to him...so it's completely hit or miss.

jhracing08
08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I have been looking for a 1983 DDR for 25 years and still have never found one. I sent a box from my local bank to a collector in Florida in trade for a box from there (because there is significant difference in mintmark distribution by state) and he found one in the box I sent to him...so it's completely hit or miss.

That would suck. I would be kicking myself in the butt :LOL_Hair:

minidisc0
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
How is it that so many circulation P cents are in some places and D in other? When I travel to Rhode Island I always get a few boxes to bring back home because they are consistently about 90% P. I live in California and the boxes of cents here are about 90% D. Is it really possible that they don't travel that far from there origin after all the years they are out there? I found plenty of copper coins so there are many that have been around for decades. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I'm very curious to understand why.

snowman
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Well i'll try a new bank tomorrow and see if it helps

if you switch banks for searching - im guessing you get bank wrapped rolls. is that maybe the 2 different banks might use the same armor truck service. In my area, my bank get coins thru Loomis and i've always been pleased. Keep your eyes open to see what Armor truck service goes where if banks dont want to say. Safety tip :neutral: - dont ask Armor Truck personal either. Maybe this could help in your frusration if you want to switch banks.

When I'm roll searching. I've memorized what i want to search for. alot of them is from the cherrypickers guide. I'm also looking for something different. This is how i found the 1988/89 RDV-006 that we all love here on Lincoln Cent Resource. Just try looking for something different. i guess this my passion for roll searching. i want to find one of those 96 wide am just like the one that Billy found. Snowman

corroded
08-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Chuck, it could only happen to a person such as for yourself. You try so hard! I have always used one bank for 95% of my pennies and done real well. The head girl at my bank gets all pennies from customers and I call her to have her save me
two to four 5000 coin bags. I take them back and trade them for fresh ones and she has always assured me all the pennies go to Little Rock that I bring back plus all those I don't get. They all leave town and head south once a week. Any other pennies, I get a few rolls come from friends, I go to Gene's house and we go to Marianna and get some bags, or my daughter in Columbia gets me some from Shelter Ins Credit Union. I'll get four boxes from her labor day. All banks I have been to around here always say the same thing, "Well! If you don't have an account with us, you can't have our services!" which means no pennies. Well, #%&*@+& on them too! I still do quite well.