PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware | 1969 S Ddo ?

Brad
02-16-2008, 05:19 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-S-Lincoln-Cent-Doubled-Die-Obverse-Awesome_W0QQitemZ200199472173QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31 373QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steven
02-16-2008, 06:47 AM
If there was only a way to reach all those bidders of junk to realize they are throwing away their money on junk such as this.

Sites like LCR helps some that look to research before buying but many just seem to take it for granted that a sellers description is truthfull and spend the money.

Some auction sites are ripe with thieves and gullibles.

OR [choke] maybe they are all bidding on this one to supliment their collections with an educational piece:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

:squigglemouth: na just gullible

car10
02-16-2008, 07:49 AM
If there was only a way to reach all those bidders of junk to realize they are throwing away their money on junk such as this.

Sites LCR helps some that look to research before buying but many just seem to take it for granted that a sellers description is truthfull and spend the money.

Some auction sites are ripe with thieves and gullibles.

OR [choke] maybe they are all bidding on this one to supliment their collections with an educational piece:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

:squigglemouth: na just gullible
For the less experienced error collectors, the reason Steven is correctly referring to this coin as "junk" is because the cause of the doubling in the date and mint mark is from machine doubling damage. This type of doubling is not collectible and does not increase the value of the coin. Hopefully this thread will educate some collectors and prevent them from throwing their money away on near worthless "errors".:squigglemouth:

Steven
02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I am just glad that there are sites like LCR that give some of us the opportunity to learn and learn more about the hobby that we invest in, whether for the advancement of our own collections or for profit.

Nothing wrong with making a buck but if a person is going to be a seller and/or a buyer but be as knowledgable as you can be about the item before buying or selling. If you know there is a problem with the item be up front with it. Don't hide it behind a lot of usless trivia, hipe and unidentifiable photos on an auction page.

I may have been a bit harsh in using the word JUNK to a ligitimate error coin. I feel that it should have been listed that way. Those kinds of errors I personally may keep an example but any further would be thrown back.

It just hits a nerve when you see coins being listed as DOUBLED DIES, RPMs etc. when they are obviously not and they are bringing a greater profit than legitimate die varieties are bringing much of the time.

I have been tossing the notion around about selling many of my coins but I think that I would feel mostly disappointment in the final bid than that possibly received by the shiny piece of junk in the next listing.

I think I'll take a nap now:crossedlips:

Brad
02-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Steven - It's going to be okay.

Pat
02-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I sent them a professional email, letting them know they had a great example of MDD and not to be confused with DDO and as they can see the price of the auction is also a clear indicator of it..

Here's their reponse,

I will pass the to my manager.
Thank you
Renea

I know it won't change anything, but I would like to think we can rise above and educate these sellers without condensing attitudes and bring knowledge where we can.. :)

Brad
02-16-2008, 12:50 PM
At the end of an auction you can see the winning bidders ID if you put it in your watch list. You could just wait until the end of the auction, and then let the buyer know that they were deceived. I've done this several times with 1970 S large dates advertised as small dates.

Pat
02-16-2008, 01:21 PM
You could.. But I think that is somehow against EbAY Policies.. I read somewhere once..

car10
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
This thread is just a small sample of how valuable this forum and venues of its type are. It is a form of education that can prevent even the occasional visitor from making expensive mistakes. Thanks Brad for giving us all a place to learn and grow in our favorite hobby. Thanks to Pat for all that you do in keeping this site running smoothly. Thanks for all the other members and contributors for all the material, insight and opinions you provide. You can't easily buy the information you find here for free.

Wheat Cents
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Likewise here guys sent a polite email to eBay and the seller explaining in detail my problem with the listing... We will see what happens ( probably nothing.. hey... its eBay )

car10
02-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Likewise here guys sent a polite email to eBay and the seller explaining in detail my problem with the listing... We will see what happens ( probably nothing.. hey... its eBay )
I think that once there has been a bid on the listing the description can't be edited.

Pat
02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Well if you look at other auctions of that store..It's usually not good to put in the descriptions, like, "Other said they can't believe it did grade MS XX"..

Read (http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-S-Washington-Quarter-NGC-AU58-Awesome_W0QQitemZ200200382593QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39 462QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)

Brad
02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
You can add to the description. And you can end the listing at any time.

Wheat Cents
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
That is correct ...the description can be edited or ended at anytime