PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Gipper1985
01-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi, I am new to coin collecting. I have a few thousand wheats to go through from both my grandfather's and uncle's collection as well and 15 thousands or so memorial cents I have started sorting that I have rolled over the last 15 years or so. I have enjoyed the sorting so far but have not decided what to do with them. I have done some research but if anyone has thoughts on coin folders I would appreciate it. I don't anticapate having any high grade coins or buying proof coins so I was thinking of just getting the whitman folders but part of me wants to be able to see both sides. Since the Dansco folders are so much more expensive I wanted to get opinions from experienced collectors.

jcuve
01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The Whitman folders often damage the coins over time with acidic vapors from the paper and inks used - plus you have to really press them to get 'em into the slots and you will likely damage the surface of the coins if you are not careful. The Dansco albums are better but I wouldn't put nice BUs or Proof in there as you have to make contact with the surface (albeit less than a Whitman folder) and even those albums can mess with the surface over time from vapors (I had this happen with a new folder once - it hazed my proofs in about 4 weeks time).

I personally buy non-plasticized 2"x2" flips and place them in non-vinyl album pages that hold 20 flips - they then can go into any three ring binder. With the flips I can write whatever I want on the insert, have any number, rearrange them anyway I see fit - basically have ultimate flexibility and control. If you don't use an insert, or use a smaller one, you can see the back of the coin. They are also much easier to take out and put back in.

JeanK
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Welcome to LCR. You will have fun here and learn a lot more about Lincoln cents than you would ever have hoped.. Post some pictures , and ask questions, and enjoy the people here.
Jean

RWBILLER
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
welcome to lcr!
roger

Gipper1985
01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Thank you for the help, that was the kind of advice I was looking for. I just ordered a few flips and pages to see if I like them.

pennies4pennies
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Welcome aboard. Nice place to be for coin collecting.
Frank

lineop3
01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome to LCR gipper. You'll love it here.

jhracing08
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the LCR!! Josh