PDA

View Full Version : ddo or dd-not

JeanK
01-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Slabbed coins are incredibly difficult to photograph, so you get one picture to see the anomaly I found on this coin. See inside the top part of the bottom circle of the 8 and under the eight for the doubling I see.

This one is listed in "The Lincoln Cent Doubled Die" book by John A. Wexler as 1938S 1c 1-O-VII, possibly a doubled die or possibly a master die doubling.

Has a final decision been made for this possible variety or error?

Thank you for checking,
Jean

jcuve
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure if this answers your question or not Jean, but 1-O-VII would mean Wexler thought it was modified hub doubling (Class 7 doubling), though he says possible master die doubling in his old book - but at this point though Wiles has it as engraving doubling on the master die in the CONECA files where it says, "Doubling evident as an 8/8 South in the date" and it appears to be on all '38s to some degree...

JeanK
01-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Thank you Jason. I could not find any other reference to this anomaly except the book, and as it questions its self I was wondering if a new attribution had been determined. Regardless, this being a PCGS MS66 RD, it goes back into my collection... :).
Jean