PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Canadian Dot Cent

pennies4pennies
01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I was sent this today from Heritage coin news. This coin brought $402,500. Here is the link.
http://coins.ha.com/common/newsletter.php?id=2987&type=coinnews-tem010910
I am going to start looking at my big pile of old Canadian coins you never know.
Frank

RWBILLER
01-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I saw it to - if you collect canada small cents - this is the dream coin - i believe the dot represented the king's death - and was stopped because it was inappropiate.
I have a complete collection including vararities and many of the earlier coins were found in rolls - even the 1925 in VF.
Thanks
roger

pennies4pennies
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I have alot of them from the 30s but none from 1936. Who would guess. Thanks for the reply.I will be looking for this coin for sure.
Frank

jpl6332
01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
John J. Pittman was a member of the RNA coin club of which I am also a member. I have spoken to some of the older guy's about John and the story goes something like this. THere were a few specimens of the famous dot cent and John was determined to own one. He found out that the engraver or head of the Royal Mint had passed away and he purchased one or two from the guy's widow for $250, he bought another from someone else for about $1750. In essence John owned the only three of these coins known to exist, according to the widow the rest were destroyed, This was back in the early sixties...and now the rest of the story

In early 1936, Great Britain’s George V passed away and was succeeded by his son King Edward VIII. As was common practice, for the remainder of 1936 the coinage continued to have the effigy of King George V. Toward the end of the year, and throughout the British Commonwealth coinage, models were made and dies produced with the effigy of King Edward VIII, but upon Edward’s abdication the dies were no longer valid and a severe shortage of Canadian 1, 10, and 25 Cent pieces arose in early 1937.
Because of the shortage, Canada was forced to continue producing coins dated 1936 with the portrait of King George V. Canadian authorities felt a need to distinguish this 1937 mintage from the 1936 production and a small Dot was placed on the reverse of the 1, 10, and 25 Cent coins. The dot is under the date on the 1 Cent coin, and under the bow on the wreath of the 10 and 25 Cent coins.
History tells us that only the 25 Cent piece was placed in circulation and that three pieces of the Dot Cents, and four pieces of the Dot 10 Cents are the only surviving examples.
http://www.coinlink.com/News/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ha_dot_cent_112309_detail.jpgThe 1936 Dot cent was long considered essentially uncollectible, since noted numismatist John Jay Pittman had held all three known examples from 1961 until his death, but the three-part auction of his collection brought all three back onto the market: the first in October 1997 and the other two (including this piece) in August 1999. The three 1936 Dot Cents, now well-scattered, generate great excitement whenever one appears on the auction block.
This exceptional rarity, graded Specimen 66 Red by PCGS was lightly lacquered at the Mint to preserve the original Mint color and prevent damage to the coin’s surfaces. This seems to have been successful as the coin is basically flawless with full golden-red original color. There are a few light brownish streaks, which appear to be from aging of the lacquer rather than toning of the coin. Also apparent are a few noticeable striations caused by heavy polishing of the die prior to striking the coins. This is the finest of the three pieces extant.

jcuve
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
This is all very interesting...

pennies4pennies
01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow I never knew. Well there goes looking for one of those. But very nicely put.
Thanks for sharing that with us.