PDA

View Full Version : 1960 so many rpms

minidisc0
02-13-2010, 11:08 PM
two different coins here. can't place the east one. the d is pretty much fully formed and tilted slightly - any ideas?

the other appears to be #152. there are splits in both upper and lower serifs however. that doesn't seem to be how 152 is described. its hard to see both serifs in photos is why I mention them.

mustbebob
02-14-2010, 03:38 AM
It is just about impossible to try and attribute split serif RPMs on 1960 D cents by photos alone. There are so many that are similar. The way the RPM looks, mint mark positioning, and other marker information is essential in properly attributing some of these. It is not easy, but in my opinion, coppercoins offers you the best chance in self attribution.

corroded
02-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Boy, when Misters Wexler and Bordner make a 1960 RPM book. it will be something to behold. Literary Feat of the Century!!

Bill

copper_poisoning
02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Just looking at coppercoins.com and I can't seem to place the coin in your last pic. It looks a little like MM-023, but I don't think the MM position is correct. I'll keep looking for the other.

Greg

bhp3rd
02-14-2010, 08:11 AM
There are so many and Bob is correct. Many are tiny in their different forms.
I found about 30 different of 1960-D/D "new for Wexler files" alone and I am sure there is close to 300 total now. I found WRPM-200 60D/D in fact and probaly another 200 different in other dates and mintmarks, reverses and such.
When I found them I was saving everthing and ended up one day with about 6000 BU 1960, 61, 62, D/D copies of RPM's in tubes and really not much place to go with them. I then learned what Arnie Margolis told me one day that I had not listened very well to - there are many more RPM's and doubled dies than there are collectors for such, he was right.
When I was learning I am still grateful to have been trained to look and study every single roll, coin and proof and mint set.
I am now well past "the minors" and hardly even save them, if I do I give them to others to help them learn.
I think at some point you "graduate" to the "bigger ones" because they are the "money coins" and are truly sought by more main stream collectors.
There are many more people in the variety game now than when I started and so there is many seeking out RPM's, minor or major but just as it takes time to learn what is and really is not a "rare" coin it takes time to learn what you love and what is "your interest" and where you might go with it.
I would not ever discourage any new person not to look and study at every single coin major or very minor - you will find your place and be glad you did as I have been.
To sum it up: There is probably close to 7000 different RPM's, OMM's in our U.S. coins but only about 125 are really rare and valuble. One thing for sure if you learn to spot a very minor RPM and can tell and understand what happened you will not miss any of the big ones that's for sure!

minidisc0
02-14-2010, 11:50 AM
dare I say TOO MANY??? no because then we would have TOO MUCH free time. I would enjoy only looking for the big $$$ ones and winning the roll search lottery as much as the next guy but if thats all we looked for there wouldn't be much finding going on unfortunately. I look for the bigger ones in circulation because the minors are usually harder to spot because of their poor condition. speaking of which I found a wide am 2000 the other week but its got some gross green spots on the obverse so I didn't post it here. I'm going through a large lot of OBW copper rolls now. I'm sure there will be more things to post soon. thanks everyone

jpl6332
02-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone want to buy some I have over 100 RPM's from 1960, 61, and 62 that have yet to be atrributed. Make me a good offer and someone will have hours of fun :LOL_Hair:

corroded
02-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Gee whiz, I have tubes full of them!

Bill

bhp3rd
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Does anyone want to buy some I have over 100 RPM's from 1960, 61, and 62 that have yet to be atrributed. Make me a good offer and someone will have hours of fun :LOL_Hair:
I sold mine to Jon Sullivan in Tenn - they only bring about .07 cents each in bulk. Good luck.

Wheat Cents
02-15-2010, 09:11 AM
and I am sure there is close to 300 total now.... ...When I found them I was saving everthing and ended up one day with about 6000 BU 1960, 61, 62, D/D copies of RPM's in tubes and really not much place to go with them.

Gives a different twist to the saying - being "Lost in the '60s..." :tinysmile_hmm_t:

grnwavdav
02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, that last one is a very nice #23! One of my favorite 1960 RPM's