PDA

View Full Version : What the ???

kloccwork419
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
How is this even possible???

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEAT-PENNY-ERROR-194-STRUCK-OVER-1940-CANADIAN-1cent_W0QQitemZ180469528537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoin s_US_Individual?hash=item2a04d277d9

jcuve
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Someone faked it, the Lincoln Wheat cent details almost look glued on. Looking closely, the Lincoln cent details conveniently fade out near the already struck devices on the penny...

Why are people bidding on this?

...On other fronts, what's a 1940 Canadian Penny supposed to weigh?

kloccwork419
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
3.24g 95.5% copper. Copy and paste isnt working..lol

DWK
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Couldn't this be legit if a mint worker dropped a Canadian cent in with the blank planchets?(on purpose or by accident). I believe there have been already struck coins of all kinds which then get struck again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DWK

jcuve
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Couldn't this be legit if a mint worker dropped a Canadian cent in with the blank planchets?(on purpose or by accident). I believe there have been already struck coins of all kinds which then get struck again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DWK

I'm sure it is possible (and may have occurred in the past) I just don't think the example posted is legit.

abe
02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
There probably is a good chance that a prankster over the years has had a good time tossing in coins of other denominations and nations.

desertgem
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Wouldn't the denticles be very diminished or eliminated on both sides by striking on a Canadian cent? I think it is a glue job also.

Jim

ericodapro
02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
the coin looks like its been coated with something.. mostly around the denticles. I doubt its a glue job because you can see the maple leaf and wheat stalks infused. I do believe, however, it is molded or something. I give an "A" for effort on this fake and without it being "certified" that is the biggest red flag

jcuve
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Wouldn't the denticles be very diminished or eliminated on both sides by striking on a Canadian cent? I think it is a glue job also.

Jim

I'm not an expert on such errors but I would agree Jim, all devices on the Canadian coin including the denticles should be diminished if not eliminated in certain areas.

trails
02-17-2010, 07:09 PM
This is being discussed over on the ECIE and the general consensus is that it is a 1940 Canadian cent struck with false or forged 1943 Lincoln cent dies. There are just to many "red flags" for this to be real error. The largest red flag is that it is not ENCAPSULATED.

Again, lack of knowledge, greed and just plain wanting to waste money are the obvious reasons why there are so many bids.

As I have repeatedly warned, any high priced coin that is not encapsulated by one of the "big five" on any auction site is just a waste of your money. Sooner or later you will get burned.

BJ Neff