PDA

View Full Version : Just get a new scope (my first)!

copper_poisoning
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi All,

I just got my first scope yesterday. I only played around with it for about 20 minutes last night. I still have to work with it and get a setup that works for me, but I was able to get this shot. I think it is good enough to post even though it is rotated a bit. It is of a 2001P-1DO-001 (at least I think it is).

Greg

Roller
02-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Greg. I just recently joined and got my camera just yesterday, a Nikon P90. I wondered what folks use on this forum and hope I made the right choice. What do you mean by "scope"?

jhracing08
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice picture. May I ask what scope your using? Because I'm thinking of buying one.

copper_poisoning
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Roller,

Here is a link to another forum here in which some members described their setups. Not sure if you saw it:

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4037

By scope I mean a digital microscope. The zoom is like 200x which is way more than I'll probably ever need when shooting coins, but I have it. Its a microscope, but it also a camera. I can take pics and video with it.

Greg

copper_poisoning
02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
This is the one I got:
DigiMicro 1.3MP 200X Zooming USB Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination

So far I like it, but I literally have only played around with it for 20 minutes.

Greg

Roller
02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks Greg. I figured this would take some jimmying and now see that it will be a little while longer before I am ready to post. Certainly not a point and shoot job.

copper_poisoning
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Roller,

I know some people do use a digital camera with a macro setting and a loupe. You just have to have a steady hand or tripod. I'm sure those with more experience can provide you with more tips.

Greg

trails
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
While I guess that digital microscopes will be the wavy of the future, I do have concerns with their low pixel rating for now. 1.3 MP is low in this day and age with most cameras now having at least 10 MP.

Does it make a difference? Yes, it does when you are taking pictures of notching on a doubled die or RPM. However, this can be overcome with a high magnification and 200 X is high.

ANyway, glad to see that you have joined the ranks of those who do use a microscope to look at coins. The most important thing is to have fun using it.

BJ Neff

jpl6332
02-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I am using a Boreal Digital 1000 Microscope with Motic Motion capture Software, I also use a Canon Rebel XT with an EF-S Macro lens and the GEPE Back Light and EZ-CUBE 12" Light Diffusion System and a NovaTron 240 Two Light back fill. Various other lights and filters. I do agree with B.J. and that is the Microscope Cameras are inferior.

jupiterkm1
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Awesome set-up Jeff! I love the lighting package!

I'm using a very basic microscope and I shoot the coin pics directly through the eye piece with a Canon digital coolpix camera. Very basic but it works well.

Kevin

mustbebob
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I use pretty much the same set-up that Kevin uses. I have an Omano 7.5 - 30X microscope and shoot the pics through the eyepiece with a home made PVC adapter that fits snuggly over the eyepiece and the lens of my Nikon Coolpic 7900 camera. Has worked well for me for many, many years.

hasfam
02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I've had a few compliments on my coin photos from time to time and some people have messaged me from ebay asking me what my set up is. Honestly, if I showed you guys my set up you would all laugh. But it works. My scope is decent, an triocular 7x-45x. I took the eye piece off the right side and attached it to the top with duct tape and a hose clamp. Full coin photos are taken on a seperate card table using tin flood lights clamped to cigar boxes and filtered with white printing paper. I use a small 5/16 socket to sit the coin on with white paper underneath. My camera is a nikon coolpix 7600 that is falling apart. The battery door is shattered in 3 peices and I have to duct tape that on just right to keep the camera working. All in all, the set up does great for me. what is important is the lighting, using a tripod, having macro on.
Rock

lineop3
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
That's one heck of a set up you got there Jeff! I love it! I have the QX5 Computer Video/Microscope with the zoom of 10x, 60x, 200 pixels. 200 is a bear sometimes plus I need better lighting to go with it.

THE PENNY MAN
02-28-2010, 06:26 AM
WOWSERS!!!!!!!!!! Jeff you are the MAC DADDY of the scope set up!!!....LOL, really though that is a great set up my scope is on order will be here March 3rd cannot wait for it then i will be in the ranks of the great shots of my coins for you all to see. You really have to love this hobby.