PDA

View Full Version : This looks like the place!

TheGman
03-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Hello everyone. I have been collecting coins for 20+ years off and on. Really got back into it when the statehood quarter series started. My main focus on collecting is U.S. dollar coins and sea life coins from any country. (mainly foreign sea life coins cause our gov't loves dead presidents and has no imagination when it comes to designing new coinage). I have been going through a coin lot I purchased a while ago consisting mainly of circulated pre 1959 Lincoln cents and have had some luck finding some RPM's and OMM's. I hope to post some of my discoveries and get some info or remarks from good people here at the Lincoln Cent Resource. In particular I have a 1951 D that looks like a 5/3 overdate to me. I checked the Cherrypickers guide (Volume 1 - 5th edition) and thought It might be the variety on page 120 (FS-01-1951D-521) however, it's nothing like that. I'm going to post a pic (when I find out how and where) and hope you guys might recognize this variety/error. Thank you and hope to hear from yall soon.

jpl6332
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Gman and have fun looking around, the Resource is always available, and folks are usually around to help out. This is a real fun hobby and all of us here love the Lincoln Cent as you can tell. Post pictures an ask questions...it does look like you have something in the backround with the 5 on that 51 D but my eyes are old so I wll let one of the experts chime in. Welcome and happy Cherry Picking

trails
03-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi and welcome to LCR forum. To answer your question; the digits were not punched into the master die, there were engraved. So, it would be highly unlikely that the engraver would put a 5 digit over a 3 digit. The only other possibility is that a 1931 working hub was used first, then a 1951 hub for the second hubbing. This is extremely unlikely since all the working hubs for 1931 would have been destroyed by 1951.

So, that leaves us with either a die gouge or die scratch that is making itself appear to be a partial 3 digit.

BJ Neff

TheGman
03-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome folks. I figured it was probably a die chip, it only makes sense that there wouldn't be any 1930 dies lying around 20 years later. I sent some pics to coin world and was told the same thing. If anybody else finds one of these, let me know. I wonder if it would classify as a die variety if more then 1 of these was found.
Thanks again,
Gary

jpl6332
03-12-2010, 07:23 AM
hey Gman. I wonder how this definition would hold up under scrutiny;

Die Vareties: the classification of an alteration of the coin design by means intentional or otherwise which would facilitate the minting of unwanted variations in the coins original design type.

RWBILLER
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
welcome to LCR!
roger

duck620
03-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Welcome aboard.have fun.

Brad
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. In regards to your coin...I would have to agree with B.J.'s assessment.

JeanK
03-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Welcome to LCR. Enjoy!
Jean

jcuve
03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the forum!