PDA

View Full Version : 1950d-1mm-009

Wheat Cents
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Have been going through a few of my "unattributed" LC RPMs this morning and came across a pair of 1950D RPMs which until today have been sitting in a box of unattributed. CONECA does not list and I have been unable to located in the Wexler files. ( Though will be sending to JB later on to see if he can make a WRPM x-reference. ) They appear to be on Coppercoins as 1950D-1MM-009 matching the OBV diemarkers exactly. (behind the head) However, they obviously have a different reverse than those on CC.

The first two pics are die markers for this "new" / "uknown to me" reverse die. Multiple scratches from upper left wheat to E . and ... two die scatches N from U of UNITED.

Will be posting all unattributed as time permits . Maybe some of "yous guys" can help me id 'em.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1950&die_id=1950d1mm009&die_state=mds

trails
03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
One thing to remember; a die can be changed out without replacement of the other die. That is why it is important to have die markers on both the obverse and reverse of a variety coin.

In your case, this may have happened; the obverse die with the RPM shows the correct die markers, but the reverse has been changed and the die markers do not match. This is where knowing what die state the die is comes in handy.

BJ Neff

Wheat Cents
03-22-2008, 09:57 AM
yep.. Happens all the time...either an OBV or REV gets changed out. In cataloging varieties - Stage , UVC and DMR info all play important parts.