PDA

View Full Version : 1928s Wrpm-001

Wheat Cents
03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Going through an old LC album today, noticed this 1928-S large date . Got'ta love it. And I did not have this stage. ( stage C )

eaxtellcoin
03-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Nice Pic there Wheat... Sometimes I hate the The RPM book, your coin LOOKS like #1 but because of the angle the position doesn't look right.... I found a nice #2 in a 2X2 at the Springfield show.... The coin grades Fine and the other dealer wanted $8.00, I told them it was a $2 coin greysheet and they sold it to me for $4... every little bit helps....

Wheat Cents
03-29-2008, 07:04 PM
I did not use the RPM book because this stage is not pictured. Is however pictured in JB's book. Pages 62 and 63 of the Comprehensive Guide has eight photos of several stages from coins submitted by D. Yost, L. Hanson and John Bordner . It appears to be identical to the photo on the left side of page 63.

1928-S RPM-001 is actually an S/S/S however in this stage it only shows one secondary. The thin wire S is about gone.

Wheat Cents
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Here is the image I refered to earlier along with my 1928S WRPM-001 . The image seems to be of a coin of an earlier die state or at the least a grade or two higher..

Another interesting tidbit...

If you also look at the Photo in the original "THE RPM BOOK" by John Wexler and Tom Miller. That photo is more like this one than the one in the RPM 2nd edition.

It all makes sense if you consider different die stages and the advancement in photography in the last 20 years.