PDA

View Full Version : Error Die Crack | 1983 Cent with issues

Brad
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Take a look at this 1983 Cent. It has some die cracks on the reverse. The one pictured is huge. But what is going on with the obverse. Near the IN from IGWT.

CCC
03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Nice find on this coin. The obverse photo is very interesting. The area in question isn't concentric compared to the rim. Also you can tell where the coin was struck twice in the area around the inside of the rim.. As far as the "Pit" it appear's that that area was removed during the strike. Perhap's it's a bad spot on the planchlet.

CCC

Shingpumps
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I think I have this exact coin. So it must be the die. I'll see if i can find it.

trails
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
This maybe a deteriorating die that was damaged previously from an unknown cause. If Shingpump has something similar, then we have the affect but not the cause.

BJ Neff

THE PENNY MAN
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I have found several 1983 with die cracks and some really good ones also. Great find.

car10
05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
This is a reply from Mike Diamond to a similar thread here (http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=869)not too long ago.

"These 1983 cents show peripheral die damage. The most common cause of peripheral die damage is a "die attrition error". This occurs when a misaligned die scrapes repeatedly against the beveled entrance of the collar. This action wears away the outer margin of the field portion of the die. 1983 was a big year for these types of errors among cents. They can be much more severe than the examples shown here."
I think it may apply in this case too.

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/images/styles/lincoln/misc/progress.gif

cjcarl
03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
i also have one similar too that one hope the pics are good enough. Curious on value of these?

mustbebob
03-09-2011, 02:37 PM
This thread is almost 3 years old. I don't know if enough have been reported or sold to substantiate any price range or premium.