PDA

View Full Version : 1915-D request die markers..

Wheat Cents
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Trails was looking at your 1915-D DDO-001 listed on coppercoins and in the Coneca Listings. A couple die markers are pointed out on CC. Arrows seem to be pointing to a small gouge dot ine E of ONE on the reverese. And on the obverse there are several die scratches NW from the appoximately mid point inside of 9 of date. In addition to those two, are there any other die markers one should be looking for? ( Though on this coin I doubt any will be found... too worn )

Wheat Cents
03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
DWK also would be interested. He thinks may have one ...

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=854

DWK
03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Here are some more pics.

Too much junk inside the 9, but I think I see the S.E. scratches inside the E.

I like the looks of the LI. Can anyone bless it?

Wheat Cents
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I'll bless it.

Now ... let's get an expert. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

trails
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
There is a rather long story to the 1915-D Lincoln cent DDOs, yes, there are more than one.

When I first discovered this die, my first thoughts were to have it encapsulated as a discovery piece. I had taken it to the FUN (Jan 2007) show and left it with ANACS. While browsing the floor of that show, I ran acropss another with the same bar under the L of LIBERTY, however, the mint mark was in a different place.

Of course, bells started ringing and I immediatley pulled the coin from ANACS until more conclusive studies could be preformed.

As to the study. From 1915 to 1929, various dies, from the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco mints have been found with this bar in varying degrees and strength. While we can only guess at the cause, there is a good synopsis of what may have happened.

The hub collar may have had a slight offset from the horizontal which in turn gave the working hub a slight offset or tilt. When the hub was impressed into the working die, the first contact point (during the second hubbing) was around the L of LIBERTY. As the pressure built, the hub assembly snapped into place and the hubbing was continued in the correct attitude (without the tilt) with the die.

This scenario would account for there being more than a few of this type DDO, from different mints, over a long span of years.

Just one of the possible oddities of the Lincoln cent.

BJ Neff

PS - forgot to mention, yes, that is one of the 1915-D Lincoln cent DDOs

Wheat Cents
03-31-2008, 08:53 PM
An extraordinary chronicle concerning the 1915-D DDO(s)

Sincere thanks for your commentary in this thread.

Members one and all… Here’s a good example and a good reason why this is an excellent forum, and demonstrates a basis why to get involve in LCR Forum. Where you going to get valuable information and insight like this?

Thanks Trails.

DWK
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much, BJ. That explains the absence of some of the other markers.

I guess its worth about $5.00.

Wheat Cents
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Don't sell it short DWK . It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

CCC
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much, BJ. That explains the absence of some of the other markers.

I guess its worth about $5.00.

The coin itself is worth 5.00. As Wheat Cents said:.........

CCC