PDA

View Full Version : No rev/mm/clash/worn

pennies4pennies
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Well here goes nothing. I bought this one on ebay.There is with out a doubt a worn wheat. The weight is 3 grams on the dot. Now on the obv just south east of the date I see what looks to be a mm D.( see picture 2 and 3) I don't see any damage or were something pushed this shape.If I could over lap I would see if it is the same size of a D.
Now to the rev.Very worn/not ground down. On picture 5,6,and 7 you can see the wheat stalks. But look closer at the other pictures and to me I see Lincoln. (clash) On picture 9 It looks like lincolns head and shoulders.Again if I could over lap I would be able to see if it is the out line of Lincoln. The rim looks normal except some of it is worn off. What do you think?

jcuve
05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I feel there couldn't be a Denver MM in the rim gutters; it is likely coincidental PMD (show me a BU and I will change my mind). I am not sure about the reverse. It could have been purposely worn down ages ago and then inserted into circulation OR something else. I have not seen enough Struck Through (Die Caps) to know the various manifestations that are possible. Maybe Mike Diamond will chime in at some point...

pennies4pennies
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I do agree with the rev being very worn down a long time ago, but what gets me did it get worn down to the point that a die clash could be showing? I have notice that if you take some wheats and look at it under a bright light about a 45 degree Angle you can see a out line off Lincoln.But don't really show up on a scope.Not on all the wheats but on allot more then you think.This is just with your naked eye. So my thought was maybe it was worn down to the point to which a clash was showing.It's hard to see in the pictures.

jcuve
05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree there are a lot of Clash remnants out there (mostly memorials, not wheats) as well as Lincolns with Progressive, Indirect Design Transfer (more common on wheats than memorials). I just don't see how the Clash (or Progressive, Indirect Design Transfer for that matter) could still be visible when it was that worn. There's probably some other explanation that works with it being worn down but I have no idea what it could be.

mikediamond
05-24-2010, 08:13 PM
The purported D-mintmark is nothing more than a crater and its associated pressure ridge. Post-strike damage, in other words. The reverse was polished away. No error here. Just a damaged, vandalized, heavily worn cent.