PDA

View Full Version : 1930 ddo eye + beard

pennies4pennies
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Found this to day. It was cleaned. The eye and part of the beard looks to be doubled. What are you thoughts?

jcuve
06-12-2010, 03:26 AM
My feeling is that with the doubling on the eye not being fully separated and a tad flat, it could be MD. An eyelid doesn't notch like alphabetic characters, however when doubled the area is often rounded and misaligned in another direction slightly. The chin is a tad isolated for hub doubling. Of course I would wait for Bob's view on this one as I have not studied enough examples to know for sure.

pennies4pennies
06-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Here is some more pictures. Now that I look more at the coin I see more. Yesterday I didn't see this in the 9 on picture # 10 I might have to send this to Bob. I truly believe this is a DDO. It just shines to much to take pictures.Is there a way to take some shin off with out doing anymore harm to the coin?

pennies4pennies
06-12-2010, 05:04 AM
And here is a few more pictures from more of a distance.

jcuve
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Sorry for the delay. The eye looks more convincing and you should PM Bob to get his opinion. The areas in question found in the motto, LIBERTY and the date don't, for me, add up to anything, they would also not be related to the eye if it is indeed a DDO (class IV).

I would strongly suspect that any attempt to subdue the shininess would just damage the coin.

Steven
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
It just shines to much to take pictures.Is there a way to take some shin off with out doing anymore harm to the coin?

You may want to try filtering your light source a bit.. Sometimes I will place a piece of copy paper between the light and coin but not so close to the light that the paper gets hot.

pennies4pennies
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I have no light on.What you see is the LED lights from the scope. I'll try adjusting the light. I just PM Bob to have a look.