PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the new guy

cyberfish2
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I am a penny collector from N. Calif. interested in all cents from 1809-2009. However, I may haved joined the wrong forum. In browsing this site, I get the impression it is mostly about what I call "error" coins. Not interested, except that I do collect counterfeit and altered coins, and have in fact, made a couple for my collection only. Mostly, I only like to collect "straight" cents, with minimal wear. :)

Brad
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the LCR. This site is for all discussion about Lincoln Cents. Most of the members here collect error and varieties...but we discuss a lot more. It think you will find in collecting cents that you may have questions about things like small dates and the 1922 no D cent. We are here if you want to discuss anything about Lincolns. I would love to see some of those counterfiet examples you have. Especially if you have some 1909 S VDB examples.

Shingpumps
04-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Same here, welcome to the forum

car10
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Welcome Cyberfish2. I too collect all cents. I have found that the varieties are just one aspect of collecting that make the hobby a little more fun and interesting. If you're not interested in the errors and varieties that's fine with us, just ignore those posts. Who knows, you might develop an interest. Regardless, we're glad to have another member join us. When you're ready to share photos of them we'd love to see some of your favorite cents. One of my favorite "cents" is a token my grandfather gave me about twenty-five years ago. It is from the mid 1860's. The obverse has an indian's head. The reverse says "NOT ONE CENT". Thanks for choosing LCR.

DWK
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Fish:

I'm "straight" also. But I'm big on searching, and finding, not big on buying. So when searching rolls its good to be able to spot the errors and varieties to keep for sale or trade for what you want. For ex. I wouldnt expect you to throw back a nice 55 doubled die if you got lucky enuf to find it.

Welcome and I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what turns you on.

Shingpumps
04-02-2008, 04:04 PM
[quote=DWK;4072]Hi Fish:

But I'm big on searching, and finding, not big on buying.
That's what i'm saying.:WVP-BS01:
I always wanted to use the poop icon. Thanks pat

Brad
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I buy a lot.... because I can't find:WVP-BS01:.

Shingpumps
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I buy a lot.... because I can't find:WVP-BS01:.
See, I couldn't be creative enough to use that "smile" Nice useage!:eclipsee_gold_cup:

Wheat Cents
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, Welcome...

1909-S VDB Counterfeit Detection would be a good thread. and for that matter 14D, 22 no D, 1955 DDO would be interesting and informative for newbies and oldies as well.

I should be able to contribute a decent ammount of information as I have over the years , obtained VHS tapes covering the subject of Detecting counterfeit coins . Mostly U.S. coins with quite a few Lincoln covered. Also information from out of print books I bought while at the ANA in Colorado Springs.