PDA

View Full Version : Die clash opinions (no photos yet just question)

doleod
06-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Hello I'm pretty new to collecting cents, but are die clashes worthy of keeping if the mint missed a few areas when sanding down the die? I have an 89p that was clearly clashed and then sanded back down by the mint (not sure of the term, but there is abrasion doubling on the obv and the reverse). I'm working on getting photos of it, but they missed some spots on the reverse, where you can clearly see the back of Lincoln's neck, shoulder and his chest on the reverse.

Think it might be worth a keep or are die clashes only "collectable" if you get them before the mint got to the die?

trails
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes, die clashes are worth keeping. The old adage applies, "The Bigger the Better".

BJ Neff

jcuve
06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
As long as there are Clash remnants, they are worth keeping. The two big factors are severity of the Clash (as BJ stated the bigger the better) and as you suspected, before the die is polished down; (I have heard the term virgin clash) is often more desirable as the Clash is easier to see.

...Post pics when you can...

doleod
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Yea I got a large bucketa of unc and au coins from a friend of mine who mainly looks for ms-65+ pennies, ddos rpms and what not. Granted it has already been searched but he sold them to me at face value, he was just going to turn them into the bank. I have found several intresting die crack with other errors, and several die clashes (only ones the mint has gotten to so far, but one has some beard hair and jacket folds on the reverse, as well as clear impressions of the shoulder and back of neck). Prolly would be better off searching circulated rolls, where you could find anything, but around here it's tough coming by large quantities of cents, even from banks. Usually I have to take an hour trek hitting up banks, supermarkets, and Walmarts to get a decient amount. One bank teller's eyes became as wide as dinner plates when I asked if they had $15 worth. :P