PDA

View Full Version : Just found a 1984 DDO- Doubled Ear!

AgCollector
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Certainly wasn't expecting to find this tonight, but man did it make my day! Came from a bank roll, where a customer had brought in change she'd been saving for 20+ years. Looks to be either MS or AU with toning on high points.

Brad
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Nice find. Looks like it could grade MS 65. It looks like it has a small scratch above LIBERTY. Otherwise, it's perfect. Great find. Nice picture too!

car10
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Lucky Day! Looks BU from here. Nice going!

Shingpumps
04-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow. Maine must be the spot to be. That is amazing. Nice find

car10
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I recently read an article, I think it was on numismaster, where a couple of notables, John Wexler and David Lange maybe, agreed that the total population of the '84 DDO was in the 2000 range. Pretty cool finding one in that great condition. You're the man.

CCC
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Nice, very nice find. Send your roll's down south and I will return the favor. Way to go !!!!!!!

CCC

DWK
04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I always liked Maine. I think I'll sell my house and move "Down East".

Do you think there is room enuf for two coin collectors in ME?:angel:

Congrats again.

DWK (Dave Kearns)

snowman
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
what are people called who live, love and like Maine called ??

AG - very nice find :eclipsee_gold_cup:

looks like New England is the place to be

car10
04-04-2008, 03:32 AM

I give up... Friend?

Shingpumps
04-04-2008, 06:02 AM

Maine-iac?

snowman
04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
:tinysmile_hmm_t: very good Shing :LOL_Hair:

AgCollector
04-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone!

Nice find. Looks like it could grade MS 65. It looks like it has a small scratch above LIBERTY. Otherwise, it's perfect. Great find. Nice picture too!

I'm horrible at grading; there are definitely contact marks on the high points, such as his cheek, probably from being rolled, etc. but I guess such things don't count as wear?

I recently read an article, I think it was on numismaster, where a couple of notables, John Wexler and David Lange maybe, agreed that the total population of the '84 DDO was in the 2000 range. Pretty cool finding one in that great condition. You're the man.

That's interesting- I'd always thought there would be more, given that a typical die strikes around 600,000 (?) cents.

Nice, very nice find. Send your roll's down south and I will return the favor. Way to go !!!!!!!

CCC

Most of them are not this exciting (can't tell you how many awful corroded cents people stuff in rolls) but for a change of pace, what the heck!

I always liked Maine. I think I'll sell my house and move "Down East".

Do you think there is room enuf for two coin collectors in ME?:angel:

Congrats again.

DWK (Dave Kearns)

I think there's plenty of room in ME, or at least the current situation is not overly crowded. I was quite surprised the other week to see someone on eBay selling blank cent planchets and other errors who lives two towns over from me!

Thanks!

Maine-iac?

You joke, but I've heard "Mainers" call themselves that before. One thing I know for sure, if you're not "from here" you're "from away".

Brad
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Very nice use of quotes. The 1984 ddo 1 is quite rare. I follow Ebay auctions a lot. The 1984 ddo 1 and 1971 ddo 1 you do not see for sale very often. The 1972, 1955, and 1995 ddos are up all the time. I think your will grade MS 64 RD or maybe MS 65 RD. Not bad for a 24 year old coin.

car10
04-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The only thing I can see that would keep it from getting a 65 is the small scratch in the field above LIBERTY. Still you might get the 65.

car10
04-05-2008, 06:15 AM
I found the Numismaster article. It was titled "Collectible Lincoln Varieties". Here is an excerpt:

Lincoln cent variety collectors didn't have long to wait for the next major variety, as 1984 brought a Lincoln cent, again minted in either Philadelphia or West Point, with obverse doubling. This is the famous doubled ear variety. As Fivaz and Stanton describe it, "The doubling on this variety is primarily evident as a secondary earlobe south of the primary ear. Doubling is also evident on the chin and beard."

Dealer Robert Brock estimated the population of the 1984 doubled ear variety as 2,000, a figure that Lange agrees with. Lange writes, "Though rare, this variety seems to be slightly more common than the 1983 doubled-die reverse variety both in absolute numbers certified and in condition rarity." Its value in MS-65 is $200, according to the latest Red Book.

Shingpumps
04-05-2008, 07:28 AM
I found the Numismaster article. It was titled "Collectible Lincoln Varieties". Here is an excerpt:

Lincoln cent variety collectors didn't have long to wait for the next major variety, as 1984 brought a Lincoln cent, again minted in either Philadelphia or West Point, with obverse doubling. This is the famous doubled ear variety. As Fivaz and Stanton describe it, "The doubling on this variety is primarily evident as a secondary earlobe south of the primary ear. Doubling is also evident on the chin and beard."

Dealer Robert Brock estimated the population of the 1984 doubled ear variety as 2,000, a figure that Lange agrees with. Lange writes, "Though rare, this variety seems to be slightly more common than the 1983 doubled-die reverse variety both in absolute numbers certified and in condition rarity." Its value in MS-65 is $200, according to the latest Red Book.
When was this published?

car10
04-05-2008, 08:01 AM
When was this published?
The Numismaster article is dated March 19th, 2008 written by Mike Thorne from an article in Coins Magazine. I don't know what the date of the issue of the magazine was.

Shingpumps
04-05-2008, 08:41 AM
The Numismaster article is dated March 19th, 2008 written by Mike Thorne from an article in Coins Magazine. I don't know what the date of the issue of the magazine was.
They really put the pop. low. Are they stating the known pop. or the possible population?

car10
04-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Dealer Robert Brock estimated the population of the 1984 doubled ear variety as 2,000, a figure that Lange agrees with.

It's an estimate. Their professional opinion. Of course, because the variety was not made intentionally, there were no official records to indicate a precise population number. They must be basing their opinion on the latest die state example that has been found. I'm sure as soon as the QC at the mint discovered the anomoly the die was either polished to remove the doubling effect or if it was too badly damaged to salvage the die was just scrapped.

CONECA has only confirmed EDS examples.

Shingpumps
04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Does your's have this mark at the base of lincoln's bust?
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=452

car10
04-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, it does.

AgCollector
04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Does your's have this mark at the base of lincoln's bust?
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=452

Not that I can tell, actually. Maybe there are a few different die states/stages?

car10
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Makes a good die marker.

Shingpumps
04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
What about this? Copper coins list 2 states.
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=453

car10
04-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Yep, those lines are there too. Not the dot above the "T" though.

AgCollector
04-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Mine doesn't have the lines or the dot above the T. Must be a pretty early die state, I guess.

THE PENNY MAN
04-20-2008, 12:01 AM
AGCOLLECTOR<
would you want to trade for this? and if so please let me know.

Patrick

THE PENNY MAN
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Certainly wasn't expecting to find this tonight, but man did it make my day! Came from a bank roll, where a customer had brought in change she'd been saving for 20+ years. Looks to be either MS or AU with toning on high points. AG if you could i would like you to do something for me, could you please get me 2 boxes of pennies from your bank and send them to me.....i will send you a money order for the boxes.....i would like to see what i could get from other places. If you would do this for me please let me know.

Thank you,

Patrick:D

AgCollector
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Patrick,

AGCOLLECTOR<
would you want to trade for this? and if so please let me know.

Patrick

Sorry- this one I want to keep.

AG if you could i would like you to do something for me, could you please get me 2 boxes of pennies from your bank and send them to me.....i will send you a money order for the boxes.....i would like to see what i could get from other places. If you would do this for me please let me know.

Thank you,

Patrick:D

I'd be happy to do this for you but I get cents from over 5 different banks, and about half the time they're bank-wrapped rolls. I can get either bank- or customer-wrapped rolls for you but I'll say in advance that on average, there are far more corroded cents in the customer rolls than the bank rolls. If you still want some just let me know!

dvn
04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Congrats on your find AgCollector! That's a super nice one! I have never come across one of those yet out of circulation.

AgCollector
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Congrats on your find AgCollector! That's a super nice one! I have never come across one of those yet out of circulation.

Thanks! It's pretty amazing to find one at all given how many years some individuals have been looking for them. I remember reading somewhere Chuck Daughtrey saying he's been looking for one since 1984 without success.

Wheat Cents
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM

That is a tough one. The only person I know finding one out of circulation is CONECA member Bob Mohan from IL. Of course he also found a 1980 DDO too.