PDA

View Full Version : 1972s proof

pennies4pennies
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I found this in one of my proof sets. I'm not sure if it's a DDO. There is no listing on coppercoins for this.

pennies4pennies
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
A couple more pictures. It's hard taking pictures being that the coin is in a case.

koinmon
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I also don't have a reference with this but looks pretty PROMISING to me.
George

DCW
06-18-2010, 07:14 AM
There is a pretty neat DDO for the date, but I dont think this is it. This does appear to have some separation in lettering, but could just be reflection. I sometimes find it difficult on proofs, because their surfaces are typically so reflective, to determine wether the small spread I am picking up is legit or not.
Good luck!

JeanK
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
That is a beautiful coin Frank!

I know what DCW means about proofs. Unless the proofs are 'naked eye' noticeable I have one heck of a time trying to determine what they are. Of course, we have professional attributors here on LCR that might want an up close and personal look at that coin.

Jean

jcuve
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Frank, nice photos! I believe this is mild Machine Doubling; extra deceptive as it is slight and as the die bounced and came into contact with already struck surfaces that had that CAM frosting on it. I happen to have DDO-001 (Bob shot it for CC) and the doubling is more distinct with notching. Of course I am not an attributer, so wait for Bob to chime in...

pennies4pennies
06-18-2010, 01:56 PM
What you say is very possible. It does not match the 1DDO but it could still be one. I have two proof sets of the same year and I am very considering opening up this set. The pictures don't really show what I see. Later on tonight I think I am going to open the Proof set case. It's driving me crazy LOL.
Frank

Hey Frank, nice photos! I believe this is mild Machine Doubling; extra deceptive as it is slight and as the die bounced and came into contact with already struck surfaces that had that CAM frosting on it. I happen to have DDO-001 (Bob shot it for CC) and the doubling is more distinct with notching. Of course I am not an attributer, so wait for Bob to chime in...

mustbebob
06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Those are great photos...especially of a proof. I don't see the notching I would want to see for that year, and it is definitely not 1DO-001P. I do see the minor machine doubling Jason makes mention of, but off hand, I would say this is not a DDO Frank.

pennies4pennies
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Bob. I'm still itching to open the case and get a closer look. I have another 72 proof set so it won't hurt to much.

mustbebob
06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Well then go for it. Sometimes, the only way to be 100% for sure is to take it out of the holder. Let me know if you see anything different if you do take it out...OK?

pennies4pennies
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Okay Bob. I'll post some more pics later if it looks a little different.