PDA

View Full Version : 3,000 Searched and the score is xxxxx

Kevondo
06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Well boys and girls I finished my first foray into Lincoln Varieties. 3K of Wheaties from Ebay, state auctions, and the few I had laying around. I was doing Indian Heads out of curiousity, looking for a new hobby and found a Steelie that looked strange. I did a little research and sent it off to NGC. I thought it was 1943-S DDO-001. There refused to verify and sent back slabbed as MS-64 1943-S :(. I still think something is up with the coin.
I redoubled my reseach, bought some books, got a microscope and ordered up some "unsearched" rolls. Is there really such a thing.LOL! some were good some not so good. My tally, after 3,000 looks, is 47 coins I'm 90% sure are actual varieties (Don't know if I can be 100% sure about anythiny at this stage) and 67 I'm suspicious of too varing degrees.
I used NGC variety database , CONECA, This site, and Wexler and Flynn's Authoritative Reference 2nd Edition. I've got the fever!!!!! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:It really was a lot of fun. got to watch out for creeping obsession!
Anyway,
I could use some advice on photographing specimens so I could post them and get some opinions from people who know what they're looking at. I sure don't. I'm stumbling along but enjoying the trip immensly.

I'm sure I've discoverd at least two new varieties (Yea Right!!) and would really like to find a 1917 DDO.

Happy searching
Kevondo

koinmon
06-18-2010, 09:11 PM
WELCOME KEVONDO, The main thing is enjoy what your doing; learn what you can and don't feel that you shouldn't ask questions. There are a great deal of very knowledgeable members here at the forum. And everyone is willing to help if they can.
George

jcuve
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. 47 varieties out of 3000 coins seems really high - I would think a handful tops unless the coins were never searched previously, by anyone ever. Of course anything is possible...post those finds!

We have a nice Photography thread here: http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4037 (http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4037)

Post the '42S when you get some decent photos first; did the markers for the variety match? DDO-001 is pretty nice...

mustbebob
06-19-2010, 04:17 AM
KEVONDO...Have you used coppercoins.com at all while trying to verify your varieties? We have almost 2500 Lincoln Cent varieties listed there. If you haven't done so yet, take a peek. You might be surprised at what's listed there.

lineop3
06-19-2010, 05:21 AM
I was going to say that Bob, and welcome to the forums Kevondo.
Enjoy the FEEEVEEER! LOL Looking forward to seeing your coins.

Aisha

jpl6332
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome kevondo, there is an excellent book on Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman and it can be had for less than the cost of most decent varieties, it is well worth it when you get the chance.

JeanK
06-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Welcome to LCR!
We all know this is an addictive hobby, and you will not give up even if it takes 3K more coins to find a couple of great errors or varieties.
Keep looking!
Jean

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I am truly overwelmed by the welcome I've recieved from my introductory posting. This is the place to be!!

RWBILLER
06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
welcome to lcr
roger

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
jcuve-- Just the info I wanted. 47 is too many to expect. I'll go over them and compile a list for posting whle I get my Photo stuff together. I got a 40X, 80X microscope from JTV for $50.9 on close out from $99. when I just couldn't see what I wanted to see with a loupe. The 43-s didn't look right. It had the best luster I had ever seen on a "Steelie". Extra thickness in the central curve of the Mintmark. It was the first coin I examined and I sent it off pretty excited. 2,999 coins later when I got it back unverifed but MS-64 I re-examined it with a better feel for things. The "S" still looks off. Doubling on the date is N instead of underneath the numbers. LIBERTY looks double stuck directly on top. IGWT has all kinds of things going on. particularly in O & D. To my eye there is clear doubling inside both openings. As you suggest I will post photos as soon as I can produce some. The two markers I went by- 1. long vertical scratch's N of 94, are more over the 1 and are suspect. 2. scracths below Y of LIBERTY seem to have disapperared to my more practised eye!!

Thanks for the help. I'll post a list of my finds as soon as I can complete the rexamination

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
3 thousand!!! I just getting warmed up Jean!

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Goodman book $19.77 IN STOCK on Amazon. ordered it today

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Jean-- 3 thousand!! I'm just getting warmed up!!!

Kevondo
06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Mustbebob-Checked out the coppercoin site. Pretty cool. Mr Daugherty is no longer keeping it current took a job with some new Grading company. Several of the Links weren't functioning but I like the set up especially the search by date function.

DCW
06-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the LCR forums. Its a lot of fun and you can now surround yourelf with other addicts in this informative "support group."