PDA

View Full Version : Elongated/pressed penny--Ten Commandments

mousey70
06-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I have a friend Ray who is 85 yrs. young and he showed me one of his favorite childhood souvenirs. As the thread title says it is a pressed pennyb from a vending machine he got at an amusement park when he was a kid. That would be the 1930's and 1940's. I'm not quite that old but I remember them too but very vaguely.
It cost a nickel to get this pressed cent from the machine. In those days paying a nickel for a penny was dumb, if not extravagant.
Well I tried researching his pressed cent but could not find a match allbeit my search wasn't very thorough. The ones I did find with the ten commandments on them were vertically pressed and this one is horizontally pressed. I also think the others do not show the Roman Numerals .
Has anyone any info at all about this pressed penny. The ten commandments is supposed to be one of the all time favorites.
As told to me by Ray, the string was tied to it with a safety pin and pinned to the inside of your pants pocket at that time so that it wouldn't fall out.
I weighed this pressed cent and got 2.7 grams. Wheat cent weighs 3.11 grams. So I was puzzled for a while until it dawn on me why so much lighter. The hole, the hole. DUH. lol -------- Thanks mousey

koinmon
06-22-2010, 02:05 AM
THERE IS A PERSON WHO SPECIALIZES IN ELONGATED CENTS THAT MIGHT KNOW. LAST NAME IS SPADONE (I THINK) USE TO ADVERTISE IN CW OR NN REGULARLY.
HE MIGHT KNOW A VALUE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.
George

jpl6332
06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
You can also visit http://www.pennycollector.com/ which is a site devoted to these types of coins.

Although an example of an elongated coin is rumored to have been produced some years earlier, it is generally accepted that these tokens were first made during the 1892-1893 World's Columbian Exposition that was held in Chicago, Illinois to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's discovery of America. There were four different designs utilized during that event...

kloccwork419
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Im not sure of a value but there is an old man that comes in to my work and gives these out along with $1,000,000 bills. Their really cool