PDA

View Full Version : 1956P REV What happen???

pennies4pennies
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Can any one tell me what happen to the rev. The rim is still there, the wheat stalk is there. I can see some off the letter clear as day. I can also see the O in one. Now it looks to be other letters or something around the O in one. On the east side I see something that looks like some kind of a design of another coin. The weight is 3.3 grams. There is no sign of grinding or sanding or scraping on the coin. I really believe this is not PMD.

jcuve
06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Strange that it is overweight. If was under weight I would suggest a large lamination. It could be a weird PMD. Maybe Mike Diamond would have a suggestion...

pennies4pennies
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
It's under weight. 3.11 is the wheat and 2.50 is zinc Right?

jcuve
06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm tired and too much posting, you're correct, it's under weight. Maybe Mike Diamond can confirm or refute it being a problem with the planchet?

pennies4pennies
06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I know what you mean.I get cross eyed and some times list things for auction and write the wrong coin down. Thats what happens when you try and do to much. I want to thank you for all your help you give me and everybody else. Take a little rest. But be back in 5 minutes:LOL_Hair:

jcuve
06-23-2010, 03:47 AM
I enjoy helping out I just hate doing something wrong that leads to confusion. Reevaluating the above, I have a question: is the weight 3.03 grams or 3.30 grams? I think it is 3.03 (normal is 3.11) and it is underweight.

I have not seen enough split planchets or large laminations to properly diagnose...

trails
06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I had the same question; if it is 3.30 grams, it is overweight for a wheat cent. I am going to forward this link to Mike D. and see what he thinks.

BJ Neff

mikediamond
06-23-2010, 08:10 AM
The appearance of the reverse face is inconsistent with anything a coinage press could produce. I would have to say it's suffering from post-strike damage/alteration of an unspecified kind. There are many types of damage for which have no explanation, but it's not necessary to specify the cause. All that's necessary is to determine that a press could not have done it.

jfines69
06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
looks as if it is pitting corrosion and at one time it may have been cleaned with an acid.

pennies4pennies
06-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Sorry for getting back late. The coins weight is 3.03 grams. I believe Mike hit it right on the nail.The wild thing about it is seeing the lettering in the pit. The marks on the east side really makes me wounder what caused it. Thank You all for the info and Mike you have been a really big help.Thanks for fowarding this Jayson to Mike.