PDA

View Full Version : Another challenge

JeanK
07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Okay now. I cannot quite decided if this is WDDR-001/CDDR-002/2-R-VIII, or WDDR-050/CDDR-049/1DR-017.
The problem is, there are no matching markers to any of the coins I have examined on the websites or cd book. I believe this coin might be different because: 1. The anomaly extends beyond the end of the thumb.
2. There seems to be a sharper bend in the anomaly than the other pictures I see posted on the websites and cd.
Please let me know if you agree, or if not.
Thanks for checking,
Jean

jcuve
07-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice DDR find Jean! Are there die markers found on your coin not listed by anyone, and does your coin not exhibit any of the markers given by any of the 4 attributers for the 2 dies (which is what it sounds like)? It sure looks very similar to both dies you mentioned. It may have to be sent out if the markers don't match up at all; maybe it is a new one.

JeanK
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank You Jason! You are so knowledgeable!
I will see if there are any markers at all on this coin and get back to LCR when I make a determination, or not.
This attribution exercise has been quite a challenge and not something I would want to do as a job... phew!
Jean

JeanK
07-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Adding to the pictures of the coin that could be a new die (fingers crossed), are the only two places on the reverse of the coin that might be die markers.
There is what appears to be a horizontal die break on the middle of the mallet just left of the handle. The second picture actually has what appears to be a rounded chip under the second upright of the N in UNUM.

The obverse has no die breaks in the hair, no chips, and no die scratches in the field which match either of the two possible examples. The reverse does not have the shoulder die chips mentioned in that description.
This is the best I can do with the possible die markers for this coin.
Thanks again for checking.
Jean

koinmon
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
WAY TO GO JEAN ANOTHER NICE FIND.
George

dvn
07-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Adding to the pictures of the coin that could be a new die (fingers crossed), are the only two places on the reverse of the coin that might be die markers.
There is what appears to be a horizontal die break on the middle of the mallet just left of the handle. The second picture actually has what appears to be a rounded chip under the second upright of the N in UNUM.

The obverse has no die breaks in the hair, no chips, and no die scratches in the field which match either of the two possible examples. The reverse does not have the shoulder die chips mentioned in that description.
This is the best I can do with the possible die markers for this coin.
Thanks again for checking.
Jean

Jean,

It's either a much earlier die state with none of the markers matching or it's a possible new one!

Is there a possibility I could examine to make a determination?

Regards,
Billy (dvn)

JeanK
07-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Billy,
I would be honored to have you check this coin for me.
Should I send it to you right away?
Thank you ever so much,
Jean

RWBILLER
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
cool cool cool
roger

eaxtellcoin
07-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Gene, The position matches my #50, let see what Billy says on die stage... Eric

dvn
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Billy,
I would be honored to have you check this coin for me.
Should I send it to you right away?
Thank you ever so much,
Jean

Jean,

If, by chance, it turned out to be a different one (I'm not saying either way because obviously we don't know yet), then it would be nice to have your coin illustrated in my shortly upcoming DVN issue #15. Which I'm doing monthly issues now instead of bi-monthly. It's up to you.

Billy (dvn)

JeanK
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Billy,
Can you believe it, I found another one like it today. Soooo... will try to get it in the mail to you tomorrow. You can decide which one it is, and if different you have my permission to publish it.

Hey Eric,
Thanks bunches for your help. Let's see what die stage this might be if it is 050.
Jean

Duckhawk
07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice one Jean. Are those photos from your QX5? I cannot capture anything like that on mine, the glare just blows away the sensor.

Mike

JeanK
07-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes Mike, these are from the QX5 at 60X.
I taped a doubled piece of soft fabric-like cd cover over the bulb, which nearly eliminated the light altogether. So, I also use a desk top ott-lite for the main light source, and adjust it at varying heights over the coin while it is in position. Another trick is to use the slider light adjustment on the QX5 which helps to balance the glare. And, if all else fails, put the coin under the light right side up instead of the normal upside down microscope mode. I find this can help in directing the light to the area where you really want it.
Sorry this is so complicated.
Don't give up on the QX5 until you try some light filtering techniques. What works for me might not work for you.
Jean

dvn
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Billy,
Can you believe it, I found another one like it today. Soooo... will try to get it in the mail to you tomorrow. You can decide which one it is, and if different you have my permission to publish it.

Jean

Congrats! You're on a roll! Look forward to seeing the coin. Thanks...

Billy (dvn)

Duckhawk
07-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Thanks Jean, I will try some filters on the light, and maybe a second source (softer)
Good luck with that new coin, and thanks again

Mike

lineop3
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
You go girl!!! Pick em up and put em down!
I use a brown marker on my bulb to cut the glare down. (Whatever works, right?)
I'll try using the cover as you have.
Nice pics!

Aisha

JeanK
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I sent the coin out yesterday, and I do not know how long it will take to get to Billy in SC. I would keep my fingers crossed, but it makes it very difficult to type.
Jean

dvn
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Jean and All,

Jean, received your package safe and sound.

I have completed my examinations with the following analysis:

First, let's eliminate what it is not:

It is not 2009 1c FY CDDR-002/WDDR-001. The doubling is not even near the same.

Close examination reveals your coin is 2009 1c FY CDDR-049/WDDR-050. I pulled my personal specimen of CDDR-049/WDDR-050 and conducting a side-by-side coin analysis under the stereoscope, I was able to match up at least 5 different key die markers. However, the good news is that your coins are a much earlier die state (EDS) than the specimen from my personal collection.

Therefore, your coin will now be assigned in my "C" registry files as 2009 1c FY CDDR-049 EDS Stage (a) and my specimen now becomes MDS Stage (b).

I will be taking photos of your coin to update my photo files with the new Stage (a) key die markers.

Congratulations on the new Stage (a) for this variety!

Billy (dvn)

jcuve
07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Excellent analysis Billy and congrats on the addition Jean!

JeanK
07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Fantabulous news! Thank You Billy!
I thought there was something different on those coins from all the pictures I could find for comparison.
YAHOO! Made my day even more memorable.
Jean

dvn
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Fantabulous news! Thank You Billy!
I thought there was something different on those coins from all the pictures I could find for comparison.
YAHOO! Made my day even more memorable.
Jean

Jean,

Below is one of the many photos I took of your coins. I also took die marker photos of the new Stage (a) for comparison with the Stage (b) specimens.

Your coins were shipped back to you today. Thanks for sending and allowing me to update my files.

I will be illustrating your new Stage (a) in the upcoming Die Variety News (DVN) Magazine Issue #16.

Congrats again on the new stage listing.

Keep up the great work... and as always Good Hunting!!!

All the Best,
Billy (dvn)

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/2009fyphoto.jpg