PDA

View Full Version : Coin show buys and finds

Brad
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Here are the coins I purchased or found at the 2 coins shows I went to this weekend. Just thought I would share.

The 1931 S PCGS XF45 I bought from a guy for $130. The coin lists for $170 on the PCGS website.

The 1972 DDO 8 I paid $45 for. I bought it from the woman that Wheat Cents recommended.

The 1949 D/D/D rpm 1 I cherrypicked - I guess Wheat Cents did not get them all

The 1944 D/D rpm 7 I paid $4 for

The 1944 D/D rpm 4 I paid $3 for

I also found a 1947 S that appears may be a rpm. I'll post pics later.

Wheat Cents
04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
bought it from the woman that Wheat Cents recommended.The 1949 D/D/D rpm 1 I cherrypicked - I guess Wheat Cents did not get them all.

You did good Brad. And too bad I could stick around for Saturday, would of liked to meet you.

Yes ...she seemed to really know her Indians and HQ Lincolns though admitted she did not know varieties. ( I was interested her opinion on the VF 1909 VDB DDO-001 ) Refered me to someone else she knew on the floor.

The day before she was buying asked if I had any Lincolns to sell. I only had a couple on me just in case I ran into a deal. So showed her my 1931-S MS63RB. She and I agreed it really needs to be slabbed by PCGS. So that is what I ended up doing.

Your 49D RPM 1 looks nice. From only the close pic, it looks to be in the range between an AU58 and 63RB? ( any wear ? )

Brad
04-20-2008, 12:49 PM
The 1949 is a MS 63/64 RB with hints of glue on the reverse.

I'm going to give it a acetone bath.

Wheat Cents
04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm going to give it a acetone bath.

I do not know much about that kind'a stuff never ever done it.

The acetone will get rid of the glue but doesn't it hurt an MS 63/64 RB coin in some detectable way? Will using acetone have a simailar effect as dipping ...which will ruin a copper coin ?

Brad
04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Acetone does not effect metal. It is a natural solvent. The coin actually has a lot of glue on the reverse. It is already messed up. The acetone will remove the glue completely without wearing the surface at all. It may effect the toning....I'm not sure about that. I would only use acetone on coins with glue, marker, pvc, or paint on them. This is the first coin I have every had to do that on, so we will see what happens.

car10
04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
I would rinse it thoroughly with distilled water afterwards just to be on the safe side. Also, make sure it's pure acetone. Sometimes generic nail polish remover has additives that may harm your coin.

Brad
04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I would rinse it thoroughly with distilled water afterwards just to be on the safe side. Also, make sure it's pure acetone. Sometimes generic nail polish remover has additives that may harm your coin.

Thanks for the advice! Will do.

Wheat Cents
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM

After your the mention of acetone.. I was going to do few searches but went out and played catch ... when I got arround to those searches from coppercoins forum and cointalk community , they confirmed car10's advise. I do not think those searches mentioned the distilled water part though. Probably best not to attempt even acetone on expensive coins.

Now.. dipping is different / same ... or a degree to which it is done y/n?
I have known dealers who take pride in their doctoring abilities. They do that with an objective to deceive novice and not so novice potential buyers . That could be a good topic for a thread ...

DWK
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
We have all been told 100 times, "Don't clean the coin, it'll ruin the value".

I, personally,would much rather have a nice looking coin than a yukky one. I think a coin is worth what someone will pay for it. Why is cleaning or dipping or giving it a bath so bad, if it improves the appearance?

I agree, if its not done right you definitely can ruin it. But for example I found a proof Ben Franklin that was badly tarnished but had no wear, dents, dings or scratches. A dealer dipped it for me and now its beautiful. I personally would have never known. Obviously, if a coin has a lot of wear, then it doesn't look natural if its too clean and shiny.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. (Of course I dont buy or sell lots of coins, but I like what I like).

DWK

Wheat Cents
04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Most people do like nice red Lincolns. That is why a PCGS MS64RD and a PCGS MS63RB fetch different $$$.

Just be real careful buying any raw HQ early date Lincilns. (1934 and prior) I would go so far as to say: Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it.
If you do ... assume a raw is doctored, and pay what it is worth. Hey a cleaned S-VDB is still an S-VDB, but it will never find a home in a PCGS slab.

I see pics of coins posted where individuals are searching to find out if their MDD is a DDO. Those are the same type who can get taken and loose lots of money buying early date "MS" raw Lincolns. If those peoplle have the financial resources to consider it, they should only buy slabbed.

If our Forum members ever read one article concerning early date Lincolns, whizzing, dipping etc.... Please let it be "The Authoratative Reference on Lincoln Cents" in a 10 page section written by Sam Lukes page 80-90. It is an eye opener and is the honest to god's truth concerning people who have lost lots of money buying Lincolns and finding out their coins were cleaned.

eaxtellcoin
04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm on the pessimest side of this topic.. NEVER clean on lincolns. Period..
It seems now days alot of rolls we buy are cleaned, I hate the bright and shinny, ''''''DIPPED'''''''' coins that are even turning up in the late 50-'s rolls. what has happened to the traditional red/orange color. I see early lincolns that are made to look like Zinc's.. when you see this, they ARE cleaned... It destroys a nice high grade XF-AU circ... I have a 11-D RPM#4 in Unc Details, ANACS AU50'd because of the poor judgement of someone a looong time ago....

Brad
04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
I agree completely about cleaning coins. You should almost never clean coins. Just like I would agree that you should not glue your coins to cardboard. But if the choice is glue or cleaning, I would rather have a cleaned coin.

Wheat Cents
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm on the pessimest side of this topic.. NEVER clean on lincolns. Period..
It seems now days alot of rolls we buy are cleaned, I hate the bright and shinny, ''''''DIPPED'''''''' coins that are even turning up in the late 50-'s rolls. what has happened to the traditional red/orange color. I see early lincolns that are made to look like Zinc's.. when you see this, they ARE cleaned... It destroys a nice high grade XF-AU circ... I have a 11-D RPM#4 in Unc Details, ANACS AU50'd because of the poor judgement of someone a looong time ago....

Kudos! Eric.. Kudos!

DWK
04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree completely about cleaning coins. You should almost never clean coins. Just like I would agree that you should not glue your coins to cardboard. But if the choice is glue or cleaning, I would rather have a cleaned coin.

What about all the other ugly stuff that could be stuck to a penny besides glue, such as gum, insect eggs etc. Why doesn't it make sense to de-gunk it?

I'm not suggesting to try to make a coin look unc if its not, or even to try to change MS63BN to MS63 Red. It would probably look funny.

If I find one of the keys, but its badly junked up, I'll ask my dealer friend to clean it up for me if he can.

DWK

Wheat Cents
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess the only thing you can say is " to each his own" .

Here is another way we could take this thread.... Is there anyone out there who has seen what " In their opinion" was a cleaned Lincoln Cent in a grading services holder? past or present? as some of those guys are out of business

Please... do not mention any service by name.

You may send one of those private messages with additional info. But it would be best not to post any active businesses name on any web site.

Brad
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Cleaning a coin usually involves removing some of the surface of the coin. I am totally against doing this. From what i have heard, acetone does not remove any of the metal. That is why I am open to dipping a coin acetone and water.

DWK
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Cleaning a coin usually involves removing some of the surface of the coin. I am totally against doing this. From what i have heard, acetone does not remove any of the metal. That is why I am open to dipping a coin acetone and water.

Ah! This is where I need more education. In other words dipping is not cleaning, and is therefore OK.

Is there a good reference that explains in detail what's Ok and what's not and why.

It makes sense not to scrub the coin with Brillo:tinysmile_hmm_t: of course. I just want to get rid of the maggots etc.:squigglemouth:

DWK

Brad
04-23-2008, 02:18 AM
I do not think that dipping is always ok. Dipping in tarnex or vinegar will decrease the value of a coin. Some people dip coins to remove the toning - which is not a wise idea because it removes the mint luster. Mint luster cannot be returned once it is affected.

Try this, take a normal copper cent (worth no more than 1 cent) and soak it in a mixture of "vinegar and salt". Let it sit for a few hours. You will see that dipping a coin does effect the metal.

Here is a article from: http://www.coinsite.com/content/cdanswers/cdarchive1a.asp

David M. at --- writes: What is the consensus on dipping silver coins. My coin dealer says that it is OK if done properly? What do you think?

The coin dip that is used most often contains a mild acid that removes the top layer of silver from the coin; that's how it removes "tarnish". A small amount of the mint luster is also removed each time the coin is dipped. Mint luster is an optical effect caused by flow lines that are established by the striking pressure of the coin press. Since the flow lines are on the very top surface of the coin, dipping gradually sends your uncirculated coin toward AU or lower status
There is another reason that dipping coins is destructive to them. Natural patina, the kind that takes many years to establish, is an oxide coating that can protect the coin from damage to pollutants in modern air. If the coin has been lucky enough to have achieved its patina originally and it's surface has remained unaltered from the time of minting, the oxide coating actually contains oxygen from the air of that period. Dipping removes that protection and actually makes the coin more likely to oxidize quickly and unattractively. The "fix" only lasts a short while, forcing one to dip the coin anew, each time damaging the coin further.
My suggestion is to only purchase coins that please you. If you don't like patinated pieces, stick to ones that have achieved a clearer oxide coating (they do exist and pros can tell the difference). If the coin needs surgery, don't get involved.