PDA

View Full Version : 1988d MM / Verdi Gris question

georoxx
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Hello All.

The pictures speaks for themselves. Comments, advise..?

Have a great night.

-Geo

copperlover
09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I use warm soapy water but it does not remove it totally. I then dry the coin removing all moisture with a hair dryer and once dry I apply verdi-care. Use a cotton swab with some verdicare on it and roll it over the coins surface as gently as you can. You might want to try it out on a really useless coin before you try it on
this coin.
Lucien

jfines69
09-25-2010, 05:08 AM
I agree with Lucien... Practice first and roll do not rub it!!!
Jim

jcuve
09-25-2010, 09:00 AM
This coin has what appears to be a lot of zinc corrosion and a popped plating bubble. I doubt there is much hope of cleaning this one up. Thad may say otherwise, but I would just leave this one alone...

georoxx
09-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Either way, is it a "keeper"..? Does it look like it has promise for being RPM or ???

Thanks for the words, guys.

-Geo

jcuve
09-25-2010, 12:02 PM
IMO the anomaly below the MM is a popped plating bubble and not a second D.

copperlover
09-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I would agree with Jason's asessment.

Lucien

georoxx
09-26-2010, 10:50 AM
For your "before and after" review.

Thanks, as always.

-Geo

DoubleYou
09-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Totally agree with jcuve. Boy! I'm gonna hafta get me-self some of that Verdi-Care!

copperlover
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I am glad your coin came out great. Make sure you keep it in a moisture proof container as the surface has been exposed near the anamoly.So be real careful when you do any kind of washing as corosion can occur. More power to verdi-care. Thanks for sharing.

Lucien

georoxx
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I never actually said I used Verdi-care. :~ Since I wasn't overly concerned about the coin (after Jason's Opinion was offered), I did something a little different... And, perhaps, detrimental to a collectable.

I read up on verdigris to learn that it melts at 115 °C and decomposes at 240 °C.

I boiled it... (LOL) for about 10 minutes and then tossed it into a solution of water and Dawn dishsoap. (50/50)... all while soaking a couple of toothepicks in the dishsoap to soften up their tips. About 30 minultes in the suds and I picked gently at and around the MM (as if it were a coin that was actually worth something to me) and I was amazed how easy the stuff just fell away.

Now I'm no chemist... but if nothing else, the coin looks a little better than it did before the bath.

:D

DoubleYou
09-26-2010, 08:30 PM
My parents got me some dirty old Roman coins that never get clean. I tried the boil trick, but it didn't work. I've been soaking them in water for about six years now, and, yep, the dirt is as hard as ever!

jfines69
09-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Soaking in olive oil works really well also... I have tested several really bad coins and they cleaned up extremely well... Soaked for 3 days then washed with warm soapy water!!!

atarian
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
looking at Geos pictures its more evident that it is a bubble than another D

georoxx
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I agree. It looks like 3 seperate bubbles. One at the upper NW corner of the inside of the D, one almost directly east of the D, and the largest of the three... S and SE of the D.

I guess I'll toss it into the "reject" bin so that the next guy can at least "look twice" at her.

:D

-Geo